IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any PLC/SCADA Engineers on the forum?
Topic Summary: I have recently graduated and want to get started as a plc/scada/C&I engineer.
Created On: 19 July 2009 01:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 July 2009 01:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

atchiwanza

I was just wondering if there are any plc/scada/c&i engineers on here, I have just graduated with an electrical engineering degree and want to get started as one.I have worked as an instrument tech before and am very much interested in automation and would like to take this as my career path.I would appreciate pointers from people who are already in the field.
 20 July 2009 10:32 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: atchiwanza

I was just wondering if there are any plc/scada/c&i engineers on here, I have just graduated with an electrical engineering degree and want to get started as one.I have worked as an instrument tech before and am very much interested in automation and would like to take this as my career path.I would appreciate pointers from people who are already in the field.

Start looking for the jobs you want to do and check the experience and qualifications required for them and the equipment they use.

Look around, using the internet of course, for some short training courses for PLC and SCADA and consider doing some to make yourself more employable.

Regards.
 22 July 2009 08:18 PM

deleted_37_ELO

Westonpa is correct do some courses siemens, allen bradley, mitsubishi are all commonly used PLCs on new installs

Get some on the job experience, may need to be the lackey for a good few years but make sure you copy every software package you come across get a laptop that has/can interface with all types of ports, in some cases an ability to use DOS is still needed.

Search online for large automated contracts requiring electricians, try power station refurbs and builds, container cranes, bulk storage (oil, coal, feed etc) this will point you towards the work

Good luck

Cheers
 23 July 2009 04:26 PM

atchiwanza

Thank you for your input. I have been proactive in as far as this issue is concerned because it is something I want to do.I have just started teaching myself Simatic S7 because I have looked at job adverts and its one skill they ask for. I have the software and looking to invest in some hardware with time.
 31 August 2009 10:20 AM

TimW

Take a look at the various system integrators. They normally have vacancies on their web site and often have graduate programs. I would not worry too much about training yourself on particular packages as once in a graduate program the training will be provided or will be on the job.
 12 April 2010 11:25 AM

umairansari

hi!!!i am currently working as scada application engg(ems/na) @ utlity company
 28 April 2010 12:17 PM

CPFairless

Hi,
I've worked as a PLC/SCADA engineer for a number of years and started in this role from an industrial experience placement at university. The companies I have worked for and known all take on graduates and train them.
I would recommend having a look at the PLC manufacturers and SCADA developers websites for a list of companies on their systems integrator programs, this will point you in the direction of established companies. I would look specifically at Allen Bradley and Wonderware.
 11 June 2010 12:14 PM

abhilashsasi

Hi,

I have seen there are lots of people who are interested in control and automation. I am glad to say that I am also one among them. I am also a recent MSc graduate in instrumentation and control, worked for 8 months. But I haven't got enough chances to work on some of the PLC's like Siemens S7, Omeron etc.

I am really interested to attend some training courses. I have searched for the training centre and could find that it is really expensive even for a level one training course. I don't know what I have to do.

Does anyone know any training centre where we can get trained in above mentioned PLC's.
 29 June 2010 04:06 PM

ekhan84

@abhilashsasi you are right that the training courses are very expensive. Siemens have training centres but the training price is too high, here is the link to their website you can check it yourself
Link removed?AppLang=en

Cheers.
 23 September 2010 03:37 AM

aiden251181

the siemens courses are quite expensive but well worth the money ive been lucky enough that the company i work for are willing to pay for the training needed as most m/c coming into the company are s7. maybe you could look at getting on with a company with a view to getting on the training courses through them and advancing your career that way?
or if you look on the rs website (RSWWW.COM) they do kits that come with the plc's software and comms cables. there alpha2 (mitsubishi) and s7-200 which comes with a simulator and motor aswell the alpha 2 is £177 and the s7-200 is £350ish they have the manuals so you can teach yourself either

Edited: 23 September 2010 at 10:50 PM by aiden251181
 04 June 2013 07:58 AM

soniya12

InduSoft also offers on-site customer HMI and SCADA training programs at your facility. On-site training allows us to customize the training to meet the specific needs of your company. We can modify any of our existing courses, or design a SCADA training with your input to custom-fit your needs. InduSoft will provide the training materials as well as all necessary software to conduct the SCADA software or HMI training class. The customer will supply the classroom,data projector & screen, and computers for each student. Contact us for a tuition and fees estimate for your particular on-site training needs.
 04 July 2013 08:24 PM

Vinith

Hello,

i am Kumar. I am Graduate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I am interested in having my career in Electronics Embedded systems or Automation & Control. I have difficulty in choosing one. Any suggestions or advice from experienced people would be of much help.

Many thanks....
 03 October 2013 11:49 AM

ohmikegadd

Hello, I have 16 years experience in automation, but have not actually touched a SCADA system myself since university. I am now currently out of work and looking to add this to my qualifications by getting some introductory training. Can anyone recommend where to start and what is the most common platform out there? Any advice appreciated!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.