Increase font size
Topic Title: computer repair tech
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 August 2007 12:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 August 2007 12:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wertyu

dont know if this is right forum,im currently fully qualified elecrician was thinking about retraining as computer maintenance/repair technician.

i have seen an ad for training this is Aplus certification.
is this a good qual, any advice anybody.
 21 August 2007 04:13 PM

mbirdi

wertyu,

You mean the CompTIA A+ certification?

The following links should help in confirming the validity of the above course and other courses you may wish to consider:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx
At the top of this page there is a link to the whole range of Microsoft certification.

http://certification.comptia.org/mcsa/default.aspx
CompTIA's website.

http://www.computeach.co.uk/
This is a third party training organisation that I have included as an example and not for endorsement purposes. There is a free phone number advertised should you wish to contact them.

My own understanding is that Microsofts certification is the most recognisable qualification in the Computer IT industry. Any other qualification that leads to Microsoft certification would be deemed to be relevant.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 21 August 2007 at 04:26 PM by mbirdi
 22 August 2007 04:03 PM

wertyu

thanks for reply
 25 August 2007 08:22 AM

englishuk

Surely there is more money being a fully qualified electrician than a PC repair guy?

Can I ask why you have made this decision? Are you looking to move away from electrical work entirely? Or are you just trying to compliment your existing qualifications?

I think the PC repair market is flooded, and more and more people are fixing problems on their own or getting cousin Jimmy around to sort it. Perhaps working for a large firm such as Dell would be a better move.They have large numbers of technicians who travel around repairing servers at short notice

The skills required for that are much more technical. When you arrive on site, the people there are expecting you to know more than they do about their hardware. People spend alot of money on 4 hour response support contracts, and they expect the problem to be resolved when you get there.

Also why not use your existing skills to break into the networking market? The installation and design of networks/server rooms is crucial to many I.T. businesses, requiring knowledge about networks, but also about wiring and power consumption.

Aim higher !

-------------------------
Warrington Contractor
 30 August 2007 02:34 PM

wertyu

there used to be money in electrics but with the advent of part p this has pathed the way for thousands of people to become recognised as electricians with little to no qualifications,meaning that the market is flooded,still charge the same but lucky to get 2 new jobs a week.the electrical industry is not a place to make money either employed or self employed any more.

sorry mate ,see your an electrician as well have you noticed a down turn in work,i used to be busy all times but now there are 30 to 40 niceic domestic installers all fighting for work in my town(most of these have 1 week qualifications.)this seems to be happening all over.

Edited: 30 August 2007 at 02:39 PM by wertyu
 20 October 2007 11:37 PM

corelsan

Hi

Hope you don't mind me dropping into your forum but happened to pick up this question in a search.

My advice to you is do not give up your current career for computer repair. This is a flooded, dying market. Replacement costs have dropped at the same time as business costs have risen. Many people and companies simply choose to replace equipment. At the same time, hoards of hopefuls have entered a market they assume to be bouyant. There are new national groups and franchises springing up at an alarming rate.

This makes little difference to us, we simply offer an advice service and outsource repair work to trusted technicians. What I can tell you is over the last three years, true repair work, as opposed to software support has dropped fromm 40% of calls to 14%. During the same period, applications to us, by email, phone and letter from technicians have risen from two a week to about sixteen a week.

With ever decreasing equipment costs and the advent of software as an online service, unless you are vastly experienced in a particular field, this career move is a bad idea. Take your colleague's advice and look in other directions. By all means, add IT skills that will compliment your existing ones but following the traditional path, to become a computer repair technician, is now pointless.

Hope this helps.

Computer Repair In Surrey

Edited: 20 October 2007 at 11:41 PM by corelsan
 18 January 2008 01:26 PM

Roundtrip

The Aplus type certificationS are the industry recognised schemes but they don't make you a technician IME!!! Likewise the Microsoft certification only shows you can answer questions on the Microsoft way of doing things.

The advice you are getting is sound.

-------------------------
Best wishes & regards

John A Thomson
allayit

Edited: 18 January 2008 at 01:29 PM by Roundtrip
 04 May 2010 12:45 PM

enricklary

Thank you very much for all your suggestions..

---------------------
laptop repairs

Edited: 05 May 2010 at 10:07 AM by enricklary
 03 February 2014 11:52 AM

nickscott818

I think it depends on every situation. My friend is working as a PC repair guy and has his own business. He says that he has less stress and he earns more as well. The following link is his company website.
We Computing">Link removed/[/S

Edited: 03 February 2014 at 12:28 PM by nickscott818
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.