Increase font size
Topic Title: Require help with comms question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 November 2013 10:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 November 2013 10:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ollyg123

Hello,

I'm not an engineer so please excuse my ignorance regarding this question.

I want to be able to measure a distance to an object. For example, let's say we were playing golf and I wanted to know exactly how far away I was from the hole, exactly! I know we can do this via satellite navigation (and there are products out there that can already do this), but is there another solution? If I was to attach something to the hole (or the flag that goes in the hole) that sends a signal to a receiver I am holding, would that be possible?

What sort of technology could do this job consistently? Radio?

Thank you kindly in advance for your help.
 13 November 2013 11:15 AM

oneye

I still have an ultrasound meter which is useful for short distances and solid objects.....
The solution for you may be laser.

ultrasound meters have been replaced by laser equivalents, but laser has greater distance and accuracy,

You need to learn to use Google - try laser measure and get a plethora of answers.

picked out one: http://www.laser-view.com/index.html
 13 November 2013 02:42 PM

ollyg123

Thank you for your reply, albeit a little sarcastic! I have tried Google, but after a lot of searching I wasn't finding a good answer, hence turning to professionals.

With a laser, would the two items not need to be aimed at one another? I was really hoping that the fixed object could just send a wireless signal to the mobile device saying how far away it was (without pointing at one another).
 16 November 2013 06:09 PM

ectophile

There's no way that the fixed object could just broadcast the signal, as it doesn't know where the receiver is.

However it would be possible for the portable unit to send out a "ping" signal, and the fixed one could re-broadcast it back again.

The mobile unit could measure the total round-trip time to calculate the distance. It would be necessary to know precisely how long the fixed unit takes to re-broadcast a signal, as this needs to be subtracted from the round-trip time.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 17 November 2013 07:37 PM

cblackha

Another option would be for the fixed device to be fitted with a suitable reflector and then use a suitable portable radar device.

Another option might be something like WiFi triangulation - which would allow distance to be calculated.

Charlie
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.