IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DAB switchover 'still some way off'
Topic Summary: according to the chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, John Whittingdale MP
Created On: 15 June 2013 08:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 June 2013 08:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

From the Intellect Consumer Electronics Conference
Organised by "intellect" "Representing the UK Technology Industry"

http://www.intellectuk.org/ce-conference-programme

A news report on the discussion on the future of digital radio.

http://ertonline.co.uk/ERT%20L...till-some-way-off.htm

" "I thought analogue switch-off for television was quite brave, but, actually, it worked pretty well. We were able to tell people they would get real benefits if we switched off analogue television, such as much better choice - they weren't really losing anything. Set-top boxes didn't cost much and we provided a help scheme," [John Whittingdale] said. "

"Commenting on a date for radio switchover, Mr [Ford] Ennals said it was a matter for the Government: "We want an in-principle decision so that we can plan and invest for a digital future with absolute certainty. We want that at the end of next year. We know that we'll probably hit the threshold - both in terms of coverage and listening criteria - by the end of 2015, so it's going to have to happen sometime after that. But, certainly, in the next five years, we ought to be looking to plan and prepare for a radio switchover." "

I suspect it doesn't take six weeks for Ford Ennals and other Digital Radio UK executives to get nowhere in communicating with the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. It has taken me 6 weeks just to get an apology from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, for the fact that they haven't got the resources to be able consider my request within the normal 28 working day limit.

My idea of allowing another consortium [FM Band Heritage Radio UK] to run the national FM transmitter network as a digital-analogue hybrid and to openly compete with Digital Radio UK's All-Digital vision for the future of radio seems sensible to me.

If it takes me over 6 weeks for each communication transaction to complete, I am not going to get very far in this endeavour in the next year am I?

Well forget about the £100 million wasted by the BBC in their digital media project fiasco, we are talking about billions of pounds of unnecessary expense on new car radios, when in the midst of austerity people have much more critical things to spend their money on, like food and energy.

What sort of democracy is this? One set of rules for the culturally connected and another set for the culturally neglected.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.