Increase font size
Topic Title: GO Digital Trial: Measuring the impact
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 June 2013 11:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 June 2013 11:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

The Department of Cuture, Media and Sport have still not replied to the email I sent them on the 26th April. This is well outside the 28 working day turn around they are supposed to work to. After telephoning them twice they eventually got back to me to apologise, saying I would get a response in a few days.

In the meantime everyone can now read the "GO Digital Trial: Measuring the impact" report just published, about a digital radio switchover trial in Bath.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/go-digital-trial-measuring
-the-impact-of-radio-switchover-on-consumers

p74 Last Conclusion

"The main drivers to the take-up of digital radio are direct experience and heightened awareness of how it compares favourably with analogue.

The key concerns cited by respondents,if there were to be a digital radio switchover, were cost and scale, particularly related to in-car radios. Another key barrier identified is lack of
knowledge about digital radio as shown by the experienced difficulties with set-up and usability. In the light of this, the main drivers in the event of a digital switchover, for these target groups, are direct experience and a heightened awareness of the benefits of digital
radio. Providing general information with targeted advertising will be critical to remove the barrier of lack of knowledge about digital radio."

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 14 June 2013 08:39 AM

ectophile

I do like the "Legal Notice" on page 2. I wonder if anybody's told Ipsos MORI that the government has published their "commercially sensitive and confidential" document on the Internet?

The summarise the document, people like digital radios - provided they don't have to pay for them, and somebody tells them how to use them.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 14 June 2013 02:32 PM

jarathoon

Excellent précis!

Instead of giving away free radios to a select group of volunteers, a trial closer to what the Department of Culture, Media and Sport are actually proposing nationally would be:

1. Give everyone in the trial area 2 months warning of the impending Switch Off of National Analogue Transmitters serving that area.
2. Drown everyone in TV and Radio adverts "Spreading the [Digital Radio] Love".
3. Switch off the National Analogue Transmitters serving that area as promised.
4. Locally Jam other national analogue signals just enough to make sure it is very hard and expensive to cheat and listen to analogue signals from another region.
5. Then let everyone work things out for themselves, and give local businesses the opportunity to use free market pricing mechanisms and strategies to handle the sudden and inevitable spike in demand for new digital car radios. [Customers might refer to them as "rip-off pricing" strategies.]
6. Send the survey people around to collect the feedback results.

I am sure the local MP's will appreciate all the extra correspondence, as their constituents "Spread the Love" back in their direction.

James Arathoon

James Arathoon
 14 June 2013 09:35 PM

jarathoon

Digital Radio Action Plan
Version 9 June 2013

"It was always our intention that the Action Plan should be a flexible project which adapts and changes as our understanding of the issues and the market evolved."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/
attachment_data/file/206972/DigitalRadioActionPlanv9-0F.pdf

James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.