IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: FM Band Radio Broadcasts for Common People in the UK after 2015
Topic Summary: With perhaps a gradual roll out of Car Friendly Digital Radio instead of BBC Radio 3 on FM
Created On: 10 May 2013 07:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 May 2013 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

Since my previous post in the "Energy" forum some amusing progress has been made. I even talked to someone who currently works for BBC Radio about my plans.

see
"Energy consumption and reception of Digital Radio compared with Analogue FM"

http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...d=52266&enterthread=y

In order to prevent the Analogue FM transmitters being switched off as planned by the cultural elite at the BBC, The Department of Culture Media and Sport, and Ofcom, I am putting together plans for a new consortium to take ownership of BBC's National Analogue FM Transmitter Network and broadcast licenses; that is once the BBC decide to sell them on.

The consortium will be called "FM Band Heritage Radio UK"

As may of you know the existing plans involve the sudden execution of 30 million car and truck analogue radios on a single day when two completely irrelevant and nonsensical conditions are met. This will be done at huge collective cost to the common people of this country (over two years worth of aggregate licence fee payments will be needed to cover car and truck radio replacements alone).

Lots of common touch content will be planned for "FM Band Heritage Radio UK" when the BBC Director General and the BBC Trust decide to walk away from analogue.

There will be no "FM Band Heritage Radio UK" replacement for BBC Radio 3; it will be replaced by a national station that is dedicated Country and Western music instead (this is so I can read the letters of complaint accusing me of being a philistine).

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 11 May 2013 09:40 PM

jarathoon

While waiting for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and Ofcom to give me a response, I've found a relevant Department of Culture Media and Sport Document.

"MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS FOR DAB AND DAB+ IN-VEHICLE DIGITAL RADIO RECEIVERS AND ADAPTORS"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190844/In_Vehicle_Min_Spec_1_.pdf

It does not mention DRM and DRM+ digital radio standards, despite the fact that that the BBC World Service is broadcast, in the AM band, using the DRM standard across Europe. Apparently there is no consideration to what British drivers can listen to when driving across continental Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserv..._radio_schedule.shtml

Apparently decisions on how to suddenly decommission 30 million vehicle radios all at once is being made by a body which is ironically named the "Steering Board".

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/77631/digitalradioactionplan_vs1.pdf

Above the Steering Board, is the Ministerial Group. The Programme Management Team reports to the Steering Board

Below the Programme Management Team in the Hierarchy are the:

Government Radio Policy Group
Technology and Equipment Group
Market Preparation Group
Coverage and Spectrum Planning Group

A quartet of group think thinkers, thinking the same group think thought.

How to best to decommission 30 million vehicle radios on a single day, whilst making sure that the BBC's director general and other members of the cultural eleite can still listen to BBC Radio 3 without interruption on their extremely energy and bandwidth inefficient DAB radio receivers.

James Arathoon

James Arathoon
 11 May 2013 10:23 PM

jarathoon

I found a presentation given by Ford Ennals. CEO, Digital Radio UKat the World DMB General Assembly, 16 November 2012.

http://www.worlddab.org/public..._2012_Ennals_DRUK.pdf

It gives a little detail on what he plans for cars ("vehicle parc" is another way of saying vehicles currently in use apparently).

"Focus on converting the vehicle parc
. Challenge and opportunity to convert the vehicle parc
.At the point of a switchover >95% of parc must be converted
.Working with the automotive industry on:
. Preparing for a switchover announcement in 2013
. Driving consumer awareness and understanding
. Increasing the product range/phasing out analogue
. Training installers
. Change in residual values/working with fleet operators"

"Driving consumer demand
. £10 million consumer communications campaign
. Dealer/retailer communications
. The next phase - a digital radio evangelist"

His email address is given at the end of the document and he wants to drive consumer demand by "spreading the love" and using the hash tag #spreadthelove

He claims the governments switchover critera will be met by the end of 2015, which is conveniently just after the next general election.

However I doubt many people will be "spreading the love" in his direction, once thay realise they have to spend several hundred pounds to replace their car radios.

There is a page on "Digital Radio in Europe"

".Importance of European standards to car manufacturers - Eurochip
.Coordinated approach
.Working together:
- Securing future of radio sector
- Delivering better radio"

An answer to the question "What the Hell is Euro-Chip?" is given here

http://www.asi.eu.com/2013/03/...edia-tech-and-travel/

The EBU website (OPERATING EUROVISION AND EURORADIO) gives the official answer to the question "What is Euro-Chip?"

http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/poli...iatives/digital-radio

"What is Euro-Chip?

The Euro-Chip is a concept which offers cost-effective, interoperable and future-proof radio reception and can be easily installed in mobile devices and cars. Integrating the main radio transmission technology standards, whether digital or analogue, it will help audiences access their favourite radio broadcast services anytime, anywhere and can help develop new business models which will make radio fully part of the digital economy."

The "Euro-Chip" concept does not inculde DRM or DRM+ so this statement is patently false. What is the point of the BBC wasting our money broadcasting across Europe using DRM, if the DRM (or DRM+) have no future role in radio broadcasting?

I understand Brazil are very interested in using DRM+, so car manufacturers wanting to export their car radios to Brazil (and possibly other parts of the Americas) will have to use a completely different future proof radio chip.

James Arathoon

James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.