Increase font size
Topic Title: Designing a mobile communication system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 February 2013 10:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 February 2013 10:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

devilmusic

I have a project where I am asked to design a mobile communication system for an island that has no other mobile carrier. I have few questions that I would like some help on:

1) How do I decide on the transmitter gain of the cell tower and the receiver gain i.e. the mobile device?
2) Is there a typical transmitter power that is used? I found that the transmitted power needs to be licensed.

other Qs may follow.

Thanks,
Jon
 29 April 2013 12:19 PM

stevanjessica

I am also interested in designing a mobile communication system..

But never tried till yet...
 01 May 2013 11:14 AM

normcall

Are we talking about a private trunked multi-channel system similar to a mobile telephone network using hand held devices or a simpler mobile radio system with access to the TSTN?
Other things to consider include power supply (an island), number of expected users, usage charging, height of available mast(s), frequency band, terrain etc.

I have a licence with access to the PSTN, but the restrictions make it unsuitable for public use (simplex only - the system is actually full duplex, maximum 3 minutes per call etc.).
Remember the higher the frequency, lower the coverage and greater effect of 'line of sight'. Antenna height also needs to be taken into account along with antenna characteristics.
Obviously, within the UK, a licence will be required and not all frequencies are available everywhere. Other countries have similar requirements.
By all means contact me if you need any further help/information although my expertise is in long range mid/high band private mobile radio.

-------------------------
Norman
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.