IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The demise of Teletext and NICAM sound
Topic Summary: Should we celebrate these British innovations?
Created On: 01 November 2012 05:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 November 2012 05:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

When the last analogue television transmitter was switched off in the UK, Teletext and NICAM sound died along with it. Should we celebrate these British innovations or should they be allowed to become fading memories of a bygone era? American technology historians will probably ignore them as they generally tend to ignore (more recent?) technologies not used in the US.

Is there still a market for Teletext and NICAM sound ICs or will semiconductor manufacturers discontinue them?
 01 November 2012 11:54 PM

alancapon

NICAM sound ICs will continue to be available, certainly for the moment. I believe there are still a dozen or more countries that use NICAM encoding for TV audio to viewers using the PAL and SECAM colour standards.

I am not sure how wide-spread the use of Teletext is. I believe it was developed by BBC Engineering in the 1970s, and works better on the PAL standard transmissions, as there are more "spare" lines that can be encoded with the digital data stream.

Regards,

Alan.
 25 November 2012 11:17 PM

AncientMariner

A couple of weeks ago I pointed out to a bewildered assistant in our local Tesco's that proudly listing NICAM stereo as a main feature on one of their flat screen TVs was of little use now that the analogue TV system had been switch off along with NICAM.

I fondly remember my efforts in obtaining and fitting a NICAM module for our B&O TV many years ago. The chassis had apparently been built on the assumption that the German stereo system would be adopted in the UK. Never the less B&O eventually produced a retrofitable NICAM module for that model.

Cheers!

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 28 November 2012 08:44 PM

davidwalker2

Nicam sound and teletext are still broadcast in Spain and probably other EU countries- they havn't switched off their analogue transmitters yet., but of course it is system G not system I.

In their time Teletext and Nicam were significant (BBC) inventions from a golden age of television development and deserve to be remembered and celebrated.
 03 December 2012 07:25 AM

anthtaylor

The deserved to be remembered because they provided the service in that better way...which now you would rarely find!!

cheap business calls
 09 January 2013 12:45 PM

jencam

Originally posted by: davidwalker2
In their time Teletext and Nicam were significant (BBC) inventions from a golden age of television development and deserve to be remembered and celebrated.

If the Yanks get to write history then they will probably ignore them as they tend to ignore (more recent) foreign developments that did not find their way to American soil. Find me an American video games historian who writes about Freescape, Driller, and Dark Side. Very innovative and very British.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.