Increase font size
Topic Title: Telephone Cable
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 April 2012 09:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 April 2012 09:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paulgif

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and the telephone cable installation where there is an 8c cable installed outside the house, and before it enters the house it is split 3 ways (and enters the property in 3 different places).

On testing, only 1 of the entries to the house works.

The cabling connections are as follows (the first colour is the incoming 8c external cable):

Grey --> Orange
Red --> White
This is the connection which works (both green and black are unterminated)

Orange --> Orange
White --> White
This connection does not work (both green and black are unterminated)

Blue --> Orange
Brown --> White
Green --> Green
Black --> Black
This connection does not work

I haven't seen an 8c cable before with this coloured banding (I normally see the orange with white bands, white with orange bands, etc). Does anyone know what the 8c colours are for? Also, does the installation sound correct (can you split the cable before the entry like this - my understanding was that it could only be split at the master socket).

Thanks in advance for any replies

Paul
 10 May 2012 01:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alancapon

Assuming you are in the UK, the cabling up to and including the Master Socket is the property of the Telecoms Operator - more likely than not, it will be BT. There are many reasons why an external cable may be split like this, and individual pairs brought into the building through different service entries providing different exchange lines (for example). Of course, each service will have to be paid for, and if it is no longer required, the service will be ceased and disconnected in the local exchange of distribution cabinet.

If you wish to take your phone line to a number of different places in the property, then you must make your connections after the Master Socket, using your own cable - in the case of an NTE5 you will be able to connect directly to the "customer side terminations" in the socket.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.