Increase font size
Topic Title: Microstrip Antenna
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04 February 2012 04:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 February 2012 04:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Linspire

Hi all engineers,

I have joined this IET for two years in Malaysia, because I'm from Malaysia.
However, I never utilize use of this forum.
I'm finish my studies Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Electronic) recently end of 2011 in my home country.

I'm planning to further my studies master by research related to "Microstrip Antenna", may I ask opinion, how's the job opportunity that may come to me in the future. All I know this studies involved studied of design antenna, so I bet is emphasize design will be my advantage experience.

I find quite hard time to search related job in my country.
I hope engineers out there can guide me.

Regards

Linspire
 04 February 2012 05:59 PM

massey

Hi,

First I'd better say that I am speaking from the point of view of someone who has spent the overwhelming part of his career in the UK, and therefore the situation for skills demand may be different in Malaysia.

Certainly concentrating on design is an advantage.

Over here in the UK, and I think in many other countries, antenna design is a area with work for a fairly small number of engineers. As there are so few of us, I have never been out of job unless I wanted to be, but as there are so few opportunities I have had to relocate to take up new work.
Regarding microstrip antennas, my impression is that as a research topic, this has been done to death. Certainly the skills you would learn in understanding in depth all the features of microstrip antennas and their interaction with their surroundings would prepare you for looking at many other antenna types, and would be a sound grounding for working on RF electromagnetic field interactions, e.g. electromagnetic interference (EMI) in circuitry. But depending on the work in your region, would taking a topic like: handset antennas, antennas in consumer equipment, radar antennas, satellite antennas.... be more useful in preparing you for employment, and in obtaining the first job(s)??

I'd be interested to read others views on this.

Edited: 04 February 2012 at 06:13 PM by massey
 05 February 2012 02:32 AM

Linspire

The topic you suggested ..topic like: handset antennas, antennas in consumer equipment, radar antennas, satellite antennas
I dont think they offer this kind of research.

My supervisor is only specialized in this "Microstrip Field".
As I was preparing the proposal, I found quite alot of publish paper around the world and including some local university,
However, it seem to be "difficulty" to move as career path as a engineer.
I'm quite concern this research field career before truly committed into this master degree by research.

I hope all the IET professional engineers in this field would give me more opinions

Regards
Linspire
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.