IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Broadband wireless signal required over 1km
Topic Summary: Best equipment to convert fibre broadband to run wireless over 1km
Created On: 12 December 2010 11:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 December 2010 11:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mw74

Hi, one of my friends runs his own business dealing with TV aerials and satellite communications. He has been asked if he can install a broadband link on a caravan site that all the residents can access but he reckons the area to cover is over 1km. Now he knows that he could install standard wifi routers and link them up, but as the site has a fibre cable he asked me if I knew what equipment would be best to install in the centre of the site and amplify the signal to a decent range of 1km minimum. As I am more a point to point man I thought I would make use of this forumn and through it to the community. Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards

Matt
 13 December 2010 11:45 AM

jakegreenland

Well your main problem is not really getting the broadcast signal to cover the area, A decent high gain omnidirectional antennae is going to do that. The real problem is how the clients are going to kick out enough signal power to be able to associate to the WLAN in return.

Deployments like this are best dealt with through wireless mesh technology, your fibre connection would be the center of the mesh with pole mounted APs [easily colocated with lamposts for access to power] that form wireless backhaul between themselves and provide client access.

Theres a really nice solution from Aerohive that makes this meshing easy and provides very good guest access features for billing/security purposes.

Really wouldn't use standard wifi routers for this - harsh environment would lead to a high failure rate and you'd spend more time and money constantly dealing with the failures than doing it right first time.

HTH

-------------------------
Jake Greenland, CEng MIET.
CCIE #22595

Edited: 13 December 2010 at 12:21 PM by jakegreenland
 19 February 2011 07:53 PM

hisroyalmajesty

hey am looking to start up a backbone isp company in a region with poor network service and trying to find out the major physical and software requirements,any help?
 30 May 2011 07:23 AM

pria22

I am using bsnl wireless broadband and its signal are so poor that they don't even manage to work properly from one room to other.! km is too far for them.Way to go Bsnl.

bulk ear plugs
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.