Increase font size
Topic Title: Antenna orientation for WiFi access point
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 November 2008 06:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 November 2008 06:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

radiodan

I am about to install a remote access point in the loft, which will hopefully provide much better coverage around the house than the current arrangement of the access point downstairs. I have two high-gain external antennas that connect to the access point via SMA connectors. I am thinking it would be a good idea if one antenna were mounted vertical and the other horizontal, in order to pick up both horizontal and vertically polarized radio waves. This should provide optimum reception for handheld portable devices, laptops etc. Has anybody tried this and does it make a difference using typical equipment?

I do have an understanding of RF, antennas etc, however with regards to WiFi, I am not sure if having the antennas at 90deg to each other will result in problems...
 07 January 2009 10:08 PM

OtherPower

I use a £10 omni directional antenna pointing down from a loft space and it works great for me.
 02 February 2009 04:46 PM

sandrew

I live in a 3 storey house and have got round the problem by having several access points all with the same SSID and encryption code but on different channels. As I move out of range of one of them the equipment locks on to another automatically.

-------------------------
Stuart Andrew
Saddleworth, UK
(g3sna)

Edited: 02 February 2009 at 04:47 PM by sandrew
 30 March 2009 11:21 AM

markacronin@aol.com

If your access point has 2 Antenna's it is possible that they are being used in diversity mode. If this is correct then the Antenna's should not be installed in seperate locations as they are working together to prevent multipath distortion.

Most WiFi kit is vertically polarised.

Mark
 13 August 2009 03:05 AM

yauhee88

I am also curious about Radiodan's query. Mark's point that more than one antenna are used for diversity prupose, and this is correct. This is known as MIMO technique (multiple input multiple output).

What I want to find out which is related to Radiodan's question: is the WiFi signal transmitted in both vertical and horizontal polarization or just either one (and which one is it)? Once I know this, I can configure the antennas (perhaps one vertical the other horizontal?) for maximum reception.

Awaiting answer/clue :-)

Dr Yau Hee Kho
Kuching, Malaysia.
 13 August 2009 03:10 AM

yauhee88

Just realised Mark has already replied that most are vertically polarised. Out of curiosity I check the manufacturer's specs but nothing is said about polarisation. How to find this out?

Dr Yau Hee Kho
Kuching, Malaysia.
 05 October 2009 02:11 PM

acseuser

I'd bet that most laptops etc. are HORIZONTALLY polarised, since the radio modules are on the main board.

The easiest (?) way to test this would be to seperate two end-points sufficiently, and monitor the signal strength (RSSI) whilst adjusting the polarisation of one end.

This reminds me of folded omni-directional dipoles (in the UK) that are used for FM radio reception. The transmitters are VERTICALLY polarised, but these receive antennas are ALWAYS mounted horizontally...

SimonR
 19 November 2009 08:39 PM

CraigBuckingham

Actually, the antenna in a laptop runs along side the monitor, so they are vertically polarized.
Surely mounting a Tx Ae vertically and a Rx Ae horizontally goes against basic RF principles? is there a specific reason for that then?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.