Topic Title: [Slightly OT] South American style shower head dissected
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 January 2016 09:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 January 2016 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

richardcs

I saw this one a few days ago, slightly disappointed he didn't fire it up and take measurements of the leakage current down the CPC and out with the water (say spraying onto a metal plate). Part of me is tempted to buy one and have a play, see how bad it is with hard Southampton tap water.

Are the 220 V parts of South America split phase like the USA? You'd get some cancellation then and maybe it wouldn't be quite so bad.
 24 January 2016 09:03 PM

mapj1

Not in Brasil, and the showers are certainly sold there - the domestic 220V is mostly southern Brasil, and its like southern Europe as earthed neutral, but without the safety emphasis.

you will see split phase LV transformer secondariness though 220-0-200, like split phase un the UK here, on the end of a rural MRT (earth return HV).
I've was never totally convinced by the approach to the HV/LV earthing though, but as no-one actually seems to use the earth at the company meter box for the wiring within the house, its probably OK if it occasionally wanders off by a few hundred volts..

-------------------------
regards Mike
 24 January 2016 09:14 PM

mapj1

If you thought the shower was a bit much then that tea maker is really something else.
And yes, I know you can touch live and feel very little if you are in a dry room and have insulating footwear, but the potential for a really nasty accident when you knock it over or use it in a metal teapot or whatever is significant.

(a person standing on couple of upturned plastic buckets in an upstairs room has a capacitance of a couple of hundred picofarads between him or her and the plate at the end of the universe- as we know, that is enough to complete the circuti for a neon screwdriver, but most folk cant feel much below a milliamp )

regards Mike
 25 January 2016 06:41 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: nad

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

Yes Nad you right.

Back to Big Clive for a demonstration

Andy

Thanks, that's not something I hear very often.

Am really enjoying Big Clive's demonstrations but found this one difficult to watch- especially when he dropped the teaspoon in!

What? Someone telling you that you are right or "Back to Big Clive for a demonstration".

Andy
 25 January 2016 08:14 PM

nad

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

What? Someone telling you that you are right or "Back to Big Clive for a demonstration".

Andy

Hello Andy,

It was hearing that I might be right that was a bit of shock to me- though that Big Clive video had me worried he was going to end up hospital- how dangerous did that look?

I've only see his 2 videos linked on this post- am about to check out some more.

Nad

*Regularly edited due to spell cheque misdiagnosis
 25 January 2016 10:33 PM

mapj1

His "tear down" reviews of dangerous led drivers and so on are generally technically very good, but be aware that he has had a few 'off' days. For example whatever you do, don't look at his review of the dangerous toy doll without a drink to steady the nerves, and be aware he uses a very naughty word in the description..

regards Mike
 25 January 2016 11:07 PM

sparkingchip

Ooh!

2.5 million views, I fast forwarded to the highlight.

Yes, well, what is there to say!
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.