Increase font size
Topic Title: Double Insulated Cable
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 January 2015 01:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 January 2015 01:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DaveCatt

Hi, I would like to hear your comments on jointing single core double insulated cables. Using a butt crimp connector, how would one insulate the joint to maintain the integrity of the double insulation?
 12 January 2015 02:03 PM

AJJewsbury

As all joints should be in an enclosure (reg 526.5), I'd simply use an insulating box to an appropriate standard.
- Andy.
 12 January 2015 02:24 PM

Zimmerman

You could look at the wiring used in Photo PV installations. The use double insulated connections on the down wiring (DC side) and connections/connectors as I recall
 12 January 2015 03:09 PM

daveparry1

Although the single core cable has 2 layers of insulation that doesn't apparently make it "double insulated", We've had long discussions on this matter before! It's like twin & earth, again 2 layers but it's technically insulated and sheathed, not double insulated. In your case i'd say put the joint in an enclosure of some sort, or maybe use heat-shrink sleeving?
 12 January 2015 04:47 PM

bajb

MC4 plugs/sockets are used to join solar cables and can be in fresh air if you do not want to use crimps in an enclosure
 12 January 2015 05:39 PM

AJJewsbury

Although the single core cable has 2 layers of insulation that doesn't apparently make it "double insulated", We've had long discussions on this matter before! It's like twin & earth, again 2 layers but it's technically insulated and sheathed, not double insulated.

Although it can be 'considered to meet' the requirements of double insulation (see reg 412.2.4.1).
- Andy.
 12 January 2015 05:51 PM

daveparry1

I know Andy, it seems so daft doesn't it. Because double means two in the English language I still consider that 2 layers of insulation mean "double insulated"!
 12 January 2015 06:25 PM

Phillron

Originally posted by: daveparry1

I know Andy, it seems so daft doesn't it. Because double means two in the English language I still consider that 2 layers of insulation mean "double insulated"!

Do you mean there is no difference between "double standards" and 2 standards" for example

Only joking by the way lol
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.