Increase font size
Topic Title: Thermal imaging
Topic Summary: I phone camera
Created On: 11 January 2015 12:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 January 2015 12:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Manxie

Going to treat myself seeing as it's a new year!
Looking at the Flir one thermal camera for I phones and android devices..
Has anybody used this model or another type ?
Your opinions would be appreciated

Charlie
 11 January 2015 01:08 PM

dickllewellyn

I saw an advert for that the other day Charlie. I didn't see the bit that says "and android devices" though, so I stopped reading as my portable communication device of choice doesn't come from the orchard. It would be a very cost effective way to enter the world of thermal imaging though.

I forget where I saw it, but somewhere it was offered free with the purchase of something or other. I think it was one of the online test instrument firms like "test4less" or similar, or it may have been in the profesional electrician magazine. It will certainly be interesting to hear how you get on with it if you take the plunge.

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 11 January 2015 01:17 PM

Manxie

11 January 2015 06:37 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: Manxie

http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Try that. It might be the proper link.

Zs
 11 January 2015 06:42 PM

slittle

I've looked at it too and it seems ok, certainly for a quick look device.

My only concern is that my phone lives in a griffin type case to protect it from the hassles of the working week and if I've got to peel that off the phone to use the flir it may be more hassle than it's worth.

That said I can see it being a great tool for locating mis-placed cubs and scouts on hikes ;-)

Stu
 11 January 2015 07:00 PM

Manxie

Thanks for sorting the link Zs
Haha stu I suppose it could be used for all sorts

Thanks for your help
Charlie
 11 January 2015 07:05 PM

Zs

Charlie, that is amazing. I am so happy that you posted that.

Amazing on two levels, from my point of view. Actually three but the third might not count.

First.. What an amazing device for helping to sort the men out from the boys. By which, I refer to people who own a great many gadgets of expense beyond most of us but are not necessarily using their kit to provide the best advice. I reckon this device would be a neat little double-checker for those of us with a curious mind. It makes something erstwhile inaccessible a touch closer to home. What is more it is made by FLIR and they would not risk their reputation with a pile of poo. It has to be at least half decent.

Then, the second one, that appeals to me, is this. As you know I own a power logger/analyser and I can give you a price any day for doing a nice report about the behaviour patterns of your electrical system. I also own Amtech super-duper version on my own license, and some other software that makes me dead clever whenever I select to walk the walk and talk the talk at the same time. But, not necessarily dead expensive. Because I also use the Chauvin Arnoux and the Amtech as diagnostic friends and in truth I use them more like that than I do for £ per hour for the use of the kit. It has become common to find me cross-legged on the floor of a switch-room watching the power logger and at the same time mapping the installation as it is into Amtech. Then offering the client to look over my shoulder and drawing some sketches in the dust for them. As part of a fault find or an EICR.

More than once I've been curious about the thermal to add to this. I wonder how quickly that is heating up? kind of thing.

So my second level is my favourite. It might help me.

My third, the one that doesn't really count, is the beauty of some of these images and how much I'd like to lend this device to my Mum for a week or two. She is a fantastic photographer....go play Mum, I'll be back for this in a week.

I have been resisting the free upgrade to iPhone 5 but am sure going to activate it now.

We'll be up against a barrage in a moment, of those advocating that it shouldn't be allowed unless you've done the one-day course etc. But I reckon this has just made basic thermal information a touch more accessible to the likes of, well, me.

thank you for posting that.

Zs
 11 January 2015 07:32 PM

Manxie

My pleasure Zs
I've been thinking of getting a camera for a while now but the cost has always put me off.
When I seen this product, the price and as you say, manufactured by Flir, I was very pleased indeed.
It will be a very useful member of my test kit.

Charlie
 11 January 2015 07:55 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: dickllewellyn
I didn't see the bit that says "and android devices" though,

You can pre-register here for the Android version: -

http://flir.com/flirone/
 11 January 2015 08:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

Originally posted by: Manxie

My pleasure Zs

I've been thinking of getting a camera for a while now but the cost has always put me off.

When I seen this product, the price and as you say, manufactured by Flir, I was very pleased indeed.

It will be a very useful member of my test kit.

Charlie

Then you need how to use them properly, most of the pics I get sent look like a party night in Ibiza.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 11 January 2015 08:17 PM

Manxie

I've never had any trouble using the E series cameras so I'm sure I should be able to manage with this type
Was hoping somebody may have used the 'Flir one' so they could give me their opinion

Regards
Charlie
 11 January 2015 08:56 PM

dickllewellyn

I have henceforth pre-registered.

I certainly don't know how to use one properly, but would have a lot of fun trying, tax deductable, and may end up with a very useful tool.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 11 January 2015 09:04 PM

mapj1

The proper FLIR cameras are very nice but if diving in , one needs a bit of practice not to be fooled by reflections of hot things behind you and so on. Equally I'd say there is no harm in having a go, but some caution before using it to make living.

We have used the proper cameras to great advantage, they allow accurate measurement of temperatures at one spot in the picture to be read digitally - a sort of bulls-eye temperature meter, I hope they have put it on this one -its surprisingly useful.

regards Mike
 11 January 2015 09:25 PM

slittle

Originally posted by: dickllewellyn

I certainly don't know how to use one properly, but would have a lot of fun trying, tax deductable, and may end up with a very useful tool.

My thoughts exactly. Will be ordering soon

Stu
 13 January 2015 12:52 AM

sdjl

I have one of these cameras and it's a useful addition to the toolset. I found a nice potential issue at a tv show I was working on just before Christmas, which could have caused a few issues for the lighting department.
As someone above asked, you can do spot metering for a temperature at a particular point.

Another nice bonus is that because it's attached to your idevice, the images can be emailed or messaged there and then.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.