Increase font size
Topic Title: 150W metal halide lamps
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 January 2015 02:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 January 2015 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GB

Gents
I have a client who has been having quite a few issues with the control gear on 150W metal halide fittings, the fittings are styled like a smaller version of a hi bay fitting ie> a metal sphere enclosing the control gear (ballast, igniter & capacitor) with a half sphere reflector c/w elliptical 150W lamp c/w E40 cap
Basically the control gear after 5 years or so of operation is very brittle and falls to bits when you try to change a component.
After a little bit of digging it would appear that the fittings were amended when first installed to remove spacing bars between the diffuser and the control gear which has probably led to less air flow through the control gear sphere (also the vents in the sphere appear small to others I have looked at)
Anyway to cut a long story short I was thinking of stripping out the control gear and installing a large 35/40W LED or 100W CFL to the fitting, I realise I may be short of a few lumens (2500 or so) but wondered if anybody had been down a similar route.
The client has 60 or so fittings so wont want to change them all until there is a major refurb.
Any thoughts appreciated
 09 January 2015 02:10 PM

davezawadi

GB the led idea is a good one and it will be brighter than you expect because the LED light is fairly directional without the fitting focussing it, and so losses are less. As 100W leds (as IP66 floodlights) are not too bad in price (£100ish) I would look at those, you will save the relamping cost, 1/3 the electricity etc. and have a brighter result for little more than changing to other fittings. Why not buy one fitting and show to the customer, and preferably use a light meter too (From CPC, £30 ish worth weight in silver anyway!).

Regards

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 09 January 2015 03:03 PM

GB

Dave
Many thanks for the input
I was looking to fit LED or CFL (megaman) lamps into the existing fittings as they are in rows and match each other rather than change the existing fittings > if a suitable solution can be arranged.
I was thinking of having a demo with a fitting and lamp but thought I would ask the forum first.
by the way this is a clothes / sport shop
 09 January 2015 03:04 PM

GB

I have a light meter but you could be right to look at the light levels as the existing 150W halides look to have poor lumen output, (not proven and my eyes are old)
 09 January 2015 04:19 PM

davezawadi

I would advise against Megas, too many failures where I have used them. Also light output not well maintained, fittings inefficient etc.

It sounds to me as though the fittings you have are well past their sell by date, and some nice new ones would be good.
HQIs also need the lamps changing long before they fail to strike, both to preserve ballasts and to get value for money electricity wise.
Leds would overcome all of this.

There are always these http://cpc.farnell.com/_/1720-...00w-e40-ges/dp/LP07495
or even these, they are cheap enough and you could soon disable the PIR if you don't want it. http://cpc.farnell.com/digitec...R0914513?Ntt=SR0914513

-------------------------
David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 14 January 2015 01:09 PM

GB

Dave
Have you installed the Corn LED lamps before?
Do you need a driver for the lamp or is it "all inclusive"?
Have you had any issues with lamp life or heat?

Cheers
 14 January 2015 02:59 PM

Zimmerman

You can always find out the required light level for the work carried out in the building and work from there. Using the photometric data for various fitting/lamps from the manufacturer/supplier, sketch an outline of the lighting layout and height etc and work it all out regarding costs or, pass the whole thing over to a manufacturer/supplier and get them to do it for you. I would be a pain to guess at it and get it wrong. If the light levels are not right then there could be a issue with H&S.

As we know, the value of 1000W is consumption not a measurement of lighting output.

Edited: 14 January 2015 at 03:07 PM by Zimmerman
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.