Increase font size
Topic Title: MIET registration
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 August 2014 06:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 August 2014 06:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Gutterball

Hi it says C&G 236 anyone know what the current equivalent is. Or what qualification you need to qualify. I have NVQ3 and 2394/5, SJIB gold card.
 13 August 2014 11:07 PM

peteTLM

I think the 236 would have been 2330 in new money? Not sure.
For MIET they are looking for you to be either the business owner/ Qualified supervisor,. and responsible for people, money, quality etc etc, so i guess it depends on if you are the owner or not. A degree is also mentioned or appropriate industry experience.
If you work for a company for someone else, TMIET is more achievable i think.

Who have you nominated as your sponser? what do they say?

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 August 2014 11:52 PM

Gutterball

Sorry yes it was the TMIET. I don't have a sponsor I was just looking at the possibility of upgrading from associate member. I'm the business owner in that I work for Myself as a sole trader/electrical contractor.
 14 August 2014 06:33 AM

alanblaby

I went for it last year. I would have preferred MIET, but TMIET was my level apparently.
A list of qualifications and the level of work I do was required. As I'm still mostly using my hands, I wasnt quite up to MIET standard, but Techinician level was about right.
Sponsors is not a problem, email Membership Services, and they will get you in contact with someone. Mine consisted of a couple of emails and one phone call asking various queries on electrical work (I'm still not sure if he was asking how to do things, or whether he was checking my competence - I hope the latter!)
MIET is not really for a working sparky, but more a Designer/Consultant.
 14 August 2014 09:49 AM

Parsley

If you're interested in engineering council registration the IET have mentoring service that can assist you.

http://www.theiet.org/membersh...r/mentoring/iservice/

Regards
 14 August 2014 10:11 PM

timothyarnold

I tried the IET mentoring service but no one was interested in mentoring me...! Guess it explains why I don't have any friends
 15 August 2014 08:12 PM

Zs

You've got one here Tim.

I've been watching this thread from the wings.

I applied with what I thought was a brilliant CV because I engaged professional help writing it. Actually, that reminds me, someone recently commented on it not doing me justice and I must ask him for feedback on it. I had a sponsor and in fact I had two other offers of sponsors for the application which was a charming accolade. One of them an FIET. Clearly I keep good company.

Sent it off with a one page polite covering letter. Takes me ages to write a one page letter, I prefer two

They came back to me for more information about how I run my business, what I do day to day, what type of contribution I consider that I make to the industry and some other questions. Effectively they asked me how I tick. So clearly the CV wasn't good enough but had put me on a question mark.

I do not have a degree by the way but I do have quite a bit of life experience if you get my drift.

I responded with what I hoped they were looking for and attached some sections of old reports and advice given, That bit was terrifying because my written advice was about to go forward for scrutiny. Worse than posting on here albeit I do write real documents in sensible sentences. Also, examples of what they were asking, case histories, and an expanded CV. That little lot took some long evenings to put together.

It was sufficient, took 24 hours from then and my sponsor was not contacted. I was at the desk job that day and was so happy when that email came to me that I spontaneously kissed a nerd in the middle of a normally sombre office. Ooops.

So, my advice is to make sure that the written word says as much as it can about various facets of your working life.

Zs
 16 August 2014 07:16 PM

jcm256

Congratulations Zs on becoming an IET member

Not much IET merchandise on sale for woman IET members to wear
at meetings etc. However, they have two very expensive ties for men.

You could wear the women IET polo shirt, (not appropriate to wear at the posh new IET premises nearing completion). Maybe they have a nice badge or something else.

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+iet+gifts

Regards
jcm
 16 August 2014 08:00 PM

SouthernSpark

Hey Zs,

May I ask what level of membership were you given, and what benefits do you feel it offers?

Best regards.
 16 August 2014 10:43 PM

Inrush

Gutterball,

I achieved full membership to the IET in 2007, back then I had an ONC and C&G 2360.

While I only technically met the academic requirements for TMIET (at the time) I had a good amount of engineering experience which was reflected in my CV, in addition I was supported by a (IET chartered) manager. My CV was accepted as meeting the appropriate (degree) level.

My recommendation to anyone with a reasonable amount of technical experience would be to reflect this in their CV and apply for MIET.

SouthernSpark,

I know you aimed your question at Zs; however I'd just like to say that my view of IET membership is that it shows people that you are serious about your chosen career.

As a consulting engineer the IET provides a means of networking with likeminded professionals, and a way of exploring/researching subject areas I find interesting (either through seminars or the archives).

I'll be starting the final year my part-time masters soon, my next move will be to apply for CEng, or IEng if I get impatient!

Edited: 16 August 2014 at 10:50 PM by Inrush
 16 August 2014 11:09 PM

SouthernSpark

Originally posted by: Inrush

Gutterball,

I achieved full membership to the IET in 2007, back then I had an ONC and C&G 2360.

While I only technically met the academic requirements for TMIET (at the time) I had a good amount of engineering experience which was reflected in my CV, in addition I was supported by a (IET chartered) manager. My CV was accepted as meeting the appropriate (degree) level.

My recommendation to anyone with a reasonable amount of technical experience would be to reflect this in their CV and apply for MIET.

SouthernSpark,

I know you aimed your question at Zs; however I'd just like to say that my view of IET membership is that it shows people that you are serious about your chosen career.

As a consulting engineer the IET provides a means of networking with likeminded professionals, and a way of exploring/researching subject areas I find interesting (either through seminars or the archives).

I'll be starting the final year my part-time masters soon, my next move will be to apply for CEng, or IEng if I get impatient!

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
 17 August 2014 06:55 PM

Zs

Thank you jcm, made me smile.

's funny but I'm not ambitious. No designs on running jobs or sitting at the narrow end of long tables at all. But what we do is interesting stuff isn't it? So progression comes naturally.

I am MIET.

I rarely use it to be honest. It is in tiny letters at the bottom of my paper and I have two business cards; with, and without but as has been mentioned above it does sometimes help with being taken seriously. When being patronised by the retired engineer customer with his screwfix catalogue sticking out of his top pocket for example. I don't think that is as likely to happen to most of you but I get it from time to time and I understand the element of doubt from the old school. One or two of those types though, do my head in and in fact I'm working or one of them tomorrow. Yuk. When those ones happen I might offer a business card just as I am leaving. So that's just a vaguely spiteful benefit but it makes me feel a bit better.

I must add though that it doesn't mean that those of us who have that know any more than many others.

The other thing I get from it is the flow of information and the evening seminars. As I make the move from on the tools to consultancy the CPD becomes a feature and I have to pay attention to it. That's Continued Professional Development not a protective device, to save you from Googling it. Some clients ask for evidence of CPD. I watch the local IET network for what is going on on their evenings and attend some. I get to shake hands connected to some amazing brains. Wow-level networking. I love clever people. It carries weight when dealing with other members.

But most of all, encouraged to apply by JP for this reason; my Dad is a retired Electrical Engineer albeit from the world of electronic printing equipment. I did this so that when the newly refurbished IET is complete I can take him for tea at my club. Truth is, he's proud like Dads are and I reckon he gets more out of it than I do but that's quite sweet.

In terms of how it helps the career, apart from what you do for yourself that you can do anyway... Don't forget LinkedIn. My profile on there appears the most boring in the universe and is a little covert because my main client uses me for confidential stuff. However, it is pumped full of key-words for searches. I realised a while back that engineering recruitment consultants look on there for information and then pretend to their clients that you are on their books. There's one company that pull my profile up about twice a week and I've never met them so we can be sure that they are 'introducing' me to engineering companies and yet they have never contacted me direct. Mugs game? But, I've paid attention to it and I used to get about 1 or two profile views a week and now, since MIET came along, get about 15. Direct clients, who do make contact via LinkedIn are the high calibre clients and that is a noticeable change. Not often, but all those are very decent clients. I've had contacts and meetings with Arup and Jacobs of late, but I'm Loyal to Atkins because they took me on as a rookie designer long before MIET came along. That's how it will stay too.

If I had to choose between MIET and registration with one of the Governing bodies. I would choose the IET.

There you go, that's a bit Sunday afternoon in tone, but I hope it gives you a picture of what it does. I would recommend it.

Zs
 17 August 2014 10:22 PM

Gutterball

thanks for the info. I originally joined to get a discount on the books. I was wondering if being a TMIET or MIET would help with getting more work. I'm not an engineer just your average spark trying to advance my knowledge.
 18 August 2014 07:46 AM

stephenbiddle

You've got to find out what your target market recognises.

In the construction industry noon has heard of the IET. They live in a world of "apprentice trained" and ECS cards, which they wrongly refer to as CSCS

Stephen
 18 August 2014 08:55 AM

Rhino60

Zs
I agree. It is quite hard to define the actual benefits, but I think it is worth the effort. I am a self employed sparkie now (JIB Approved), I got MIET due to having worked in the aircraft industry and latterly as an Engineer Surveyor. I think an improvement would be to bring up the profile of membership, perhaps link it, rather like the plumbers do with CIPHE?

Rhino
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.