Increase font size
Topic Title: Emigrating to Australia
Topic Summary: Do they have Inspection and Testing Engineers
Created On: 13 August 2014 01:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 August 2014 01:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

keithredpath

I cant find any Inspection and Testing jobs in Perth Australia.

Can anyone help? Which books should I be reading to get myself acquainted with their Electrical Regulations?

-------------------------
keithredpath
 13 August 2014 01:13 PM

AJJewsbury

I believe AS/NZ3000 is their equivalent of BS 7671 - so must be worth a read. Although I'm given to understand that their electrical industry is heavily regulated and electricians licenced (unlike NZ although it uses the identical technical standard) - I've no idea whether that applies to I&T as well though.

I can't help thinking that I&T under a strange set of regulations would be a bit like jumping in at the deep end though.
- Andy.
 13 August 2014 01:40 PM

FizzleBang

My only knowledge of this subject comes from watching that TV programme "Wanted Down-Under" where Nicki Chapman helps couple find new homes and careers in Oz.

Electricians have come up a couple of times and have had the same problem. It didn't matter what UK quals they took with them they never got asked. There is no cross over route. Essentially they would have had to find work as an improver and gain the local qualifications to get registered status and be able to join the job market.
This can take a couple of years.

I'm guessing that I&T, being considered to be higher up the food chain, will have at least the same restrictions imposed.

"I learned very early the difference between knowing
the name of something and knowing something". - Richard P. Feynman
 13 August 2014 01:41 PM

rocknroll

Australia operates in the same way as the UK, they have Building Regulations not dissimilar to ours, schemes, self certification and a Building Control.

They have a Electrical Certificate of Compliance scheme to enable self-certification of the electrical work with the purpose of protecting the electrical contractor, worker and the consumer.

With regard to 'licencing' they are moving away from this in many areas and some time ago appointed a De-regulation Minister for this purpose.

At the moment they have not moved into the PIR/EICR money making scam that is rampant in the UK.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 13 August 2014 02:44 PM

Parsley

We used to employ a very good SA who had 17th, 2391 etc with over 15 years experience including commercial. He decided to go home last year and found out his UK quals weren't recognised. He's sat some SA exams and when I last spoke to him said he is now allowed to sign off domestic work but can't work on commercial 3 phase unsupervised until he's passed further exams. Apparently the equivalent of the 17th in SA is a closed book exam. He says the monies poor and although he's native SA found it quite difficult to get employed blaming government policies. On the upside he's got a lovely house with a pool and a better work/life balance.

Regards
 13 August 2014 05:06 PM

rocknroll

If your interested Oz Building Control Officers or as they call them Building Control Surveyors, the majority are actually trained in the UK, Queen Street Bristol is one where you will find a few and they also spend time during their studies with various public and private Building Control bodies for further experience.

You will find that I & T once you move away from the UK is limited to basic tests and this is because they work to a set code or set of rules unlike us, X cable is used with X fuse/breaker with x accessory so things are a bit simpler, they do have I & T organisations but they are limited in number.

Just an aside from this, various organisations like CIBSE, RIBA, RICS and others have always felt that we also need to simplify especially on the domestic side, as far as I know the proposals for a Domestic Installers Manual a couple of years ago has not gone away because it is felt that BS7671 is complicated and does not address the simplicity of installing but rather over engineers it.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 22 August 2014 01:55 AM

stevendoust

Bit of a curly one this, but will try an explain. I am in NZ, but we share certain things with Australia.
First and foremost NZ and AUS have both The Electricity Act and The Electricity Regulations. In AUS it varies from state to sate.
The AS/NZS 3000 that AJ Jewsbury refers to are the Australia / New Zealand Wiring Rules, which are extra to the Act and Regulations.
The Inspection & Testing, as rightly pointed out, is part and parcel of the Wiring Rules, Section 8. To my knowledge there is no Inspection & Testing exam or award in this part of the world. Yes we are regulated, but it seems to work after a fashion.
Happy to answer specific questions if required.

Thanks
 22 August 2014 03:51 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: FizzleBang
It didn't matter what UK quals they took with them they never got asked. There is no cross over route. Essentially they would have had to find work as an improver and gain the local qualifications to get registered status and be able to join the job market.

This can take a couple of years.

This has been a common complaint, and for many decades from the "Pommie Whingers" who return, but then you don't hear about the ones who survived!

Canada used to be popular for emigration many moons ago, but there were complaints again from those who returned ............... the local chapter of the electrical union, wouldn't allow immigrants to join and work locally in the better paid classes of work, they were forced to travel to forsaken areas, now that was deliberate discrimination!

Regards
 22 August 2014 09:05 AM

poo

I am a bouncing pom. Spent 14 y
 22 August 2014 10:09 AM

circle143

If I may - a question for Stevendoust

Hello Steven,

I too am looking to emigrate - looking at Canada or NZ. How easy is it to find commercial work in NZ and what are the best agencies to use? I have looked on a couple of forums but found nothing definitive.

Regards JJ
 22 August 2014 10:58 PM

stevendoust

JJ,

Best sites for work are;
http://www.seek.co.nz if you register you will get daily alerts, always looking for electricians.
Another is http://www.trademe.co.nz a bit like e-bay but smaller, they have a jobs section as well.

If you also check http://www.ewrb.govt.nz they have information for immigrants. It is our Electrical Workers Registration Board. Your UK quals will travel with a few extras added on such as our Regs exam and practical assessment.
A chap here in NZ regularly does course in the UK to satisfy entry criteria electrically. Name is Nick Chandler http://www.chandlerconsulting.co.nz/

Best of luck
 23 August 2014 09:21 PM

circle143

Thanks Steven , I appreciate the help

Regards

JJ
 23 August 2014 10:45 PM

sparkingchip

"Just an aside from this, various organisations like CIBSE, RIBA, RICS and others have always felt that we also need to simplify especially on the domestic side, as far as I know the proposals for a Domestic Installers Manual a couple of years ago has not gone away because it is felt that BS7671 is complicated and does not address the simplicity of installing but rather over engineers it. "

Well that would allow their members to undertake the electrical design by specifying standard circuits from the manual rather than having to consult with a electrical designer, wouldn't it?

Andy
 25 August 2014 08:19 AM

poo

I came to Sydney witth a City & Guilds Electrician's Cert and I was classed as a Electrical Mechanic by the New South Wales Trades Body if I remember correctly. I got about 90% of a licensed electrician's pay. I became a licensed spark eventually.
The pay is considerably higher here than the UK. If you are an employee the company will also pay 9.25% into a superannuation account. If you stay there 10 years you will get an extra 3 months paid holiday or 6 months holiday at half pay. (long service leave) The downside is an ordinary house within 10 miles of the harbour bridge will be at least half a million pounds. Units (flats) are a bit cheaper. I first came here in the 1970s and got 4 pay rises a year to cope the the inflation that was going on. Magical times.
I don't see any vans here doing electrical inspection and testing. I got a job by registering with The Commonwealth Employment Service. A government job centre.
 25 August 2014 08:25 AM

poo

From my own experience in Sydney, Plumbers and Sparkies charge about $100 an hour. That's about 55 GBP.
 27 August 2014 04:29 PM

geov

Is this something you are seriously considering Keith???
Regards.
 27 August 2014 09:27 PM

keithredpath

Yes. I am committed to the idea but will have to pay $42, 000 each to get into the country as I am 61 and they have a age discrimination thing going on.

keithredpath
 27 August 2014 10:19 PM

circle143

Keith

That is a relatively small price to pay for escaping Britain and the European Union for a better life. Our relationship with the EU basically means that we are no longer a sovereign state and I think this is the main reason why our country and standards are in such a steep decline.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.