Topic Title: Websites
Topic Summary: I want one for my business
Created On: 11 August 2014 10:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 August 2014 10:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

phantom9

Dear forum members,

I want to have a website for my business and wondered whether any of you know of a reputable company who would do this?

Thank you.
 11 August 2014 12:06 PM

John Peckham

P9

Give Steve Graham a call at Magpie Solutions he does my web site. I would say like all advertising don't expect an avalanche of work. Most of my work, 99%, comes on recommendation.

I have no connection with Magpie other than as a satisfied customer.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 11 August 2014 12:17 PM

sparkingchip

I had a very bitter experience with BT websites and their contractors RSTO.

It comes over to me that all firms like them are simply using Joomla templates and stock photos then charging an arm and a leg to set it up.

Just go to someone like 1&1 and do it yourself on a budget package. You put in your basic details and the software sets up a website ready for you to edit. If you can manage this forum then you will cope with a website such as this.

I haven't done anything to my website lately and it needs attention. However just remember the basic premise that most people are searching for a phone number to call you. So put your name, what you with your phone number across the top in big text and you've cracked it. No need for lots of pages I'm going to get rid of some and thin them out.

Andy
 11 August 2014 12:22 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Have a good think first about exactly what you want to put on a web site - and the on-going expense of keeping it up to date. I'd suggest a poor web site with out-of-date contents looks worse than no web site at all. If in doubt, keep if brief and keep it simple.
- Andy.
 11 August 2014 12:25 PM

normcall

I would have thought man of your talent could easily knock one up.
If I can do, anyone can. Just depends how involved you want to be. Mine provides e-mail facilities and could have almost any thing you want from video to forums and all under your own control to change/amend instantly.
Mines just an information site nice and basic as, as John says, it's not the answer to everything.
KISS works well and remember graphics take time to download and adverts annoy.
Cost all of about £12.00 a year for domain name and a host plus a bit of time/effort.
For a small(ish) fee...........................

Norman
 11 August 2014 04:45 PM

AncientMariner

If all you want is a simple website, say a one page one, then can recommend Tsohost. www.tsohost.com

Just register the name you want and set it up. There would be no mail boxes for their simple site, but you would have email diverts.

I use them for other things and they are excellent.

Cheers!

Clive

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 11 August 2014 11:07 PM

kshrimpton

I'll second Tsohost I use them for domain hosting and email. Highly recommended - good support and easy management of domain and email.
KS
 12 August 2014 11:06 AM

UncleFester

You could try setting up a .tel website - keeps everything simple and views well on a mobile phone which is what it's intended to do. Other than that I've used an out of the box package from MrSite - easy templates to do it yourself.
 12 August 2014 11:38 AM

FizzleBang

If your business is just another electrician then I don't see the point.
Most electricians websites are oppressively boring anyway..

Domestic customers use word of mouth/recommendation when possible and may go to yell.com or some such if they need a name. So unless your website is going to tell them exactly how much that additional socket in the conservatory is going to cost they won't be interested.

Commercial customers don't google for contractors. They have them beating the door down begging to tender.

If, on the other hand, you are a gigolo or something less easy to come by then go for !

To me, to you
 12 August 2014 09:43 PM

Zs

How often do you look at the web address on the back of a van and not at the telephone number? That billionaire job that I did recently in Mayfair, which we discussed ( the one with the iLight gone wrong) asked why I did not have a web site.

So, the sea-change may be happening and it may be wise to get one at some point? Albeit, I still got that job and now they are falling at my feet with more work. But I put that down to my boyish smile at the tender meeting of course

I'll not tell you who or what, because I'd like to get at least one of them, but a few months back I bought three web addresses in advance of launch. .Zs kind of thing but not that. £150 each and I'll not know if I've got them until September. Those I don't get will pay me back less a fiver.

I've become someone who commutes carrying a tester with black tape over my name and number on the box, because of the weirdoes out there who find me attractive and cause trouble. But, once the website is up and running I will be able to have something like 'electrical inspector .Zs' on the back of my jacket or on the tester box without giving too much away.

Looking around, I reckon that a ' .something short and easy to remember' is the way in which we memorise how to contact someone. So I think our time for owning a decent website approaches.

That said, mine will probably only have a brief outline of services and a contact button.

Zs
 13 August 2014 01:03 AM

FizzleBang

Originally posted by: Zs

How often do you look at the web address on the back of a van and not at the telephone number? That billionaire job that I did recently in Mayfair, which we discussed ( the one with the iLight gone wrong) asked why I did not have a web site.

Zs

Ah yes, but we know you are a true artisan Zs and I'm sure your web site(s) will be a pleasure to behold. But what if a potential customer does look at your website and isn't impressed (as may well be the case with many of the spark's sites I've looked at)?

I'd rather be judged by word of mouth and customer service than my web design skills.

I've had websites before, for my old shopfitting business. That's the kind of business where your portfolio is very, very important. First impressions and all that.
We had it professionally designed and maintained and kept up to date. We had some prestigious clients too. No shabby web site was ours.

The visitor counter didn't reflect the work put into it
We even had box loads of full colour brochures printed with the URL plastered all over them and posted them out to everyone we knew in the industry.

Another wasted effort.

Nothing beats knocking on doors and shaking hands (for big money customers)!

To me, to you
 13 August 2014 07:49 AM

Fm

You beed to think of youself as a brand.
You need to do everything to promote your brand.

Start with the easy stuff.
Smart/ tidy workwear same every day- not jeans and a football top. I hate people entering our premises untidy- they have been advised at the start of the contract at the tender stage

Time keeping- be on time for all your appointments- or advise when running late and then apologise for being late. Nothing worse thab hanging about for people who are late and they dont have the manner to apologise.

Consistent paperwork in the same typeface/ font, quotes, emails. Invoices etc.
Use good quality materials
Ask for feedback
 13 August 2014 07:54 PM

prophet

Originally posted by: Zs

So, the sea-change may be happening and it may be wise to get one at some point? Albeit, I still got that job and now they are falling at my feet with more work. But I put that down to my boyish smile at the tender meeting of course

I'll not tell you who or what, because I'd like to get at least one of them, but a few months back I bought three web addresses in advance of launch. .Zs kind of thing but not that. £150 each and I'll not know if I've got them until September. Those I don't get will pay me back less a fiver.

I've become someone who commutes carrying a tester with black tape over my name and number on the box, because of the weirdoes out there who find me attractive and cause trouble. But, once the website is up and running I will be able to have something like 'electrical inspector .Zs' on the back of my jacket or on the tester box without giving too much away.

Looking around, I reckon that a ' .something short and easy to remember' is the way in which we memorise how to contact someone. So I think our time for owning a decent website approaches.

That said, mine will probably only have a brief outline of services and a contact button.

Zs

150 quid!! Sorry to tell you Zs but www.amazon.co.uk is taken!

But you're right we've to think of the future. I've just bought a label printer and have set it up to print a QR code which i'll stick on the front of D/Bs, which in turn will link to a page on my website giving the test results for that board. It's like I'm from 2015.

Tom
 13 August 2014 08:51 PM

mossep

I love that idea Prophet, I think I may copy it! What printer are you using?

www.mossep.com
 13 August 2014 09:19 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: ZsLooking around, I reckon that a ' .something short and easy to remember' is the way in which we memorise how to contact someone.

'state-it.com' suited me quite well back in the days of 33.6k & 56k speed modems, and joy-of-joys my own ISDN line, when I had a multimedia company (the grass is always greener...) and was banging out interactive CDs and earlier generation multimedia for corporate behemoths and institutions.

I still live in the hope that some advertising agency will give me an offer for that domain name.

For a 'memorable name' in this trade in my instance I chose 'sg-electrical.com'.

Easy to read on the van, and says what-it-does on the side of the van.

That's the type of web address I remember while cruising down the road and see a van.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 13 August 2014 10:06 PM

John Peckham

Out of interest does anyone get any enquiries from the NICEIC website, NAPIT website, the two old competent person websites or the new competent person web site or the government competent person web site. For what it is worth I have only had a couple of enquiries from the NICEIC website in 11 years.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 13 August 2014 10:20 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

rocknroll

The website that seems to be doing very well at the moment is Trustatrader.com they boast thousands of hits a day, I do travel quite a bit and have to admit as my radio tunes to each area's radio station adverts for Trustatrader seem to dominate the airwaves a lot.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 13 August 2014 10:48 PM

FizzleBang

I see I'm still listed on the Safe Trader website, our local scheme. A scheme I joined while still a member of the NICEIC, maybe 6 years ago.

Never had a single call. So obviously no reviews against my name and none for the other 75 billion local sparks on my postcode search either.

Perhaps I should give them a tinkle and update their records.
Don't want to be getting pestered by all these customers I can't help.

To me, to you
 13 August 2014 11:08 PM

stateit

A bit like Check A Trade : They've obviously scalped enough people to be able to afford mass advertising now.

S George
 13 August 2014 11:08 PM

stateit

A bit like Check A Trade : They've obviously scalped enough people to be able to afford mass advertising now.

S George
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Websites

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.