IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: North Norfolk Hotel Overhead Supply.
Topic Summary: Dangerous Trees.
Created On: 10 August 2014 02:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 August 2014 02:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Hello All,
I am holidaying in North Norfolk and the scenery is wonderful. I visited a Country House Hotel and as you do, observed the overhead incoming supply to the hotel. The four separate overhead cables run from pole to pole but at one point pass through the branches and leaves of a tree. The four cables are being strained by the tree as it has grown through the cables and they now are not vertically aligned but are having sideways pressure applied upon them. I anticipate a future problem here, and have notified the hotel in a friendly way about this potential fault situation. Now the question is,
does the hotel just get a tree feller in to remove the trees, or part of them (shock risks), or contact the DNO or what?

Over a year ago I advised the hotel about twin and earth PVC cables having been installed through a hedge and on a wall to supply outdoor car park lighting as not being safe. This appears to have been an extension from SWA done on the cheap. (You gets what you pays for). Nothing has been done about the external twin and earths PVC cables to improve safety.

Bye for now,

Z.
 10 August 2014 02:46 PM

John Peckham

If they are the DNO cables they have a statutory duty to cut back the trees impinging on their cables. I have attended site on 2 occasions in the last year where the supply neutral has been lost due to the tress thrashing the cables in the wind.

PM me the details of the hotel as I know North Norfolk well as I live there on some weekends. Do yourself a favour go to Thornham and have a walk down the sea wall and up over the dunes on to an unspoiled beech and then in to the Lifeboat pub for lunch or dinner. I can recommend loads of places for a good meal in North Norfolk.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 10 August 2014 03:01 PM

Zoomup

Hello John, thanks for your reply. I am baffled by the private message system. How do I enter the intended recipients' address? The Country House Hotel is located at Upper Sheringham. You may be able to identify it from that info. I have failed in the past to send messages by the PM system to thank forum members for their help. They must think that I am a miserable ungrateful person, which I try not to be. So thanks all for your support and help.

Z.
 10 August 2014 07:59 PM

UKPN

"I anticipate a future problem here"

The problem could be yours, how do you know the O/H is ours? it could
be a private supply fed from a DNO main at the start of a drive. In any event the hotel owner will not want his electricity shut down in the middle of summer bookings.

Enjoy your break!

Regards.
 10 August 2014 09:33 PM

Zs

Zoomup, PM.. above the post of the person you wish to send a pm to is a little icon of a man with a speech bubble. Just click on that and it will open up the private mail box ready for you to type a message to that person.

Then you keep an eye on the top of your screen and it tells you if you have received any. Now, opening those is fun and games....Just click things and eventually it might decide to open for you.

Zs
 10 August 2014 09:53 PM

leckie

I'm of to sheringham for a golf trip later this week. Not sure where I'm staying yet as I haven't booked it. Sounds like I'm in for a treat
 10 August 2014 10:06 PM

slittle

The local DNO for that area has a number of directly employed tree teams now as well as a load of contractors.

If the hotel has a word with them on their general enquires number, I'm sure the very nice people will do something about it.

That's one of the advantages with ABC overhead, it can pass through trees pretty much unhindered and if the tree goes over it either disconnects the whole lot (preventing the neutral issues) or leaves it completely live

Stu
 10 August 2014 10:24 PM

stateit

Some 20 + years ago I worked as part of a tree-cutting team subbing for the then SEB and SWEB.

Lovely job. Cutting wherever an overhead line was. LV to HV. From domestic garden, to farmer's field, forestry land, stately home, and even through Fawley refinery.

One thing that sticks in the mind is keeping a certain distance between the chainsaw and the overhead line - or more pertinently between the chainsaws sparkplug and the line. Arcing can occur at a distance of metres at HV.

If you've concerns phone the DNO. They'll send some poor booger to have a look at it.

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 11 August 2014 12:49 AM

alancapon

Originally posted by: slittle
. . . That's one of the advantages with ABC overhead, it can pass through trees pretty much unhindered and if the tree goes over it either disconnects the whole lot (preventing the neutral issues) or leaves it completely live . . .

Trees can also rub away the insulation on ABC over time, leading to fuses operating. This can result in an inch by inch search of the ABC section from a cherry picker to determine where it has gone wrong. At least with open construction LV it is usually obvious from the ground where the issue is.

Regards,

Alan.
 11 August 2014 08:03 AM

Angram

Slightly off topic: but tree roots can take out buried cables when
a tree goes over. You can't really win when nature gets angry can you.

Angram.
 11 August 2014 09:12 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: Angram
Slightly off topic: but tree roots can take out buried cables when
a tree goes over.

And drains! Another common problem is the lifting of pavement surfaces and concrete slabs.

Regards
 11 August 2014 09:37 AM

stephenbiddle

There is a tree trimming program in Norfolk at present. They are doing my garden on Friday

Stephen
 11 August 2014 11:09 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: stephenbiddle
They are doing my garden on Friday

With garden shears? A danger there of you hitting the high notes, assuming that one has a pecker!

Regards
 12 August 2014 06:43 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: UKPN

"I anticipate a future problem here"

The problem could be yours, how do you know the O/H is ours? it could

be a private supply fed from a DNO main at the start of a drive. In any event the hotel owner will not want his electricity shut down in the middle of summer bookings.

Hello UKPN,
you may be right about the overhead cables. I can not see the whole run as the cables pass through the tree and then disappear out of sight over a high brick wall. Regarding the hotel having its electricity supply shut down. Perhaps it is better to have a planned controlled shut down and arranging for a temporary generator supply rather that an emergency unexpected failure due to a cable breakage due to "tree attack". The hotel is pretty busy all year round with "winter warmer" breaks in the colder weather.

Bye,

Z.

Enjoy your break!

Regards.
 12 August 2014 09:07 PM

leckie

Zoomup.

You sent a very nice PM to me ref Sheringham, I tried to reply but my PM seems to have gone crackers?

Anyway, many thanks
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.