Increase font size
Topic Title: Downlighting
Topic Summary: Wiring
Created On: 06 August 2014 10:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 August 2014 10:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Wessex

Hi all.

I'm looking for feedback on downlighter wiring. I had to remove two units which were showing signs of heat damage. My concern is with how there were wired. The sheath of cable is correctly clamped under the clamp, but from there to the shrouded terminal connector the brown, blue and sleeved cpc are exposed. I this correct. There does not appear to be a way that the shroud can be made to cover the conductors no matter how short they are cut. Contacted the manufacturer who said they didn't see a problem with this method.
Should not the conductors be covered ?
Your thoughts please.
 06 August 2014 11:04 AM

AJJewsbury

Doesn't comply with reg 526.8 (possibly unless the product standard allows gaps in the enclosure, which I'd suspect not..).
- Andy.
 06 August 2014 02:22 PM

Wessex

Thanks for the reply.
Nail on the head !
Having spoken to the manufacture. There is no provision for the terminal shroud to extend over the cable clamp.
I wonder in this case, how can manufactures instructions prevail.
Maybe they pick the bones out of 526.5
 06 August 2014 02:26 PM

largelunchbox

cheap down lighters with no space,been there got the t shirt, 1, change to quality lights which have larger terminal blocks, 2, try flex and click plugs or even new light flex and click plugs for the perfect job
 06 August 2014 02:58 PM

normcall

12v or 240v?
Lamp heat damage or connector damage?

Lamp heat damage is either using incorrect replacement lamps or cable too near lamp.
Connector damage on 12v fittings is ohms law (50w@12v=4A)

Just remembered manufacturers instruction prevail unless you decide otherwise.

-------------------------
Norman
 06 August 2014 03:51 PM

Wessex

Thanks all.

Units about 10yrs old, been discontinued for 3. Already installed so not my choice. Yes a better method of installation.

240V fittings and I would agree probably wrong lamp used. Perhaps fittings should be marked as to what type of lamp to be used or at least there is no indication on these fittings.
I agree as far as the installation goes it is my choice, but feel all I can do is put it to the customer and let them decide. Unfortunately I think cost will always prevail.

Just to add. Installer had bent terminal bracket, normally at right angles to the can now up right. So now the heat venting from fitting hits the terminal housing directly about.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.