IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Security Alarm Operating Intermittently.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 August 2014 05:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 August 2014 05:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kitleach

Good afternoon everybody.

I have moved an alarm control unit from a bedroom straight above into the attic above by extending the cables to it.

Now the homeowner is complaining that the siren keeps going off.

I wouldn't normally touch alarms (though I installed my own - which works fine), but it just seemed a straight forward job to extend a few cables as an extra to the job I was asked to do (install a couple of sockets in the bedroom prior to decorating), which made me think 'why not'.

I tried to get some advice from the alarm company (Cooper Menvier), but they won't talk to me as I don't have a security registration number (I had always believed that anyone was allowed to fit alarm systems?).

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
 05 August 2014 05:36 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

We could probably do with a bit more detail. When they say "the siren keeps going off" do they mean just the outside bell box is sounding on its own, or the entire system is going into alarm? (i.e. does the panel or keypad show any indication? does the internal sounder go off as well?). Presumably it's not going off continuously - when does it go off? During the day? at night? When the system is set or unset? It could be just a loose wire, or a flat battery or a detector connected to a 24-hour zone instead of a regular one. There's usually enough information in the supplied installation manual (+engineer code) to have a good stab at it.
- Andy.
 05 August 2014 06:18 PM

kitleach

Cheers Andy,

They have not moved in yet, the alarm was set overnight, but when they returned to the house the next day, the neighbours turned up to complain that the alarm went off twice.

The homeowner said that the display on the Remote Keypad said something like "Landing Active" when he returned to the house.

I have done a User Walk-Through Test, which seems to be working ok, and the system seems to set ok when I set it.

I have taken the manual home to have a look through, and noticed there is a "Activate Downstairs Only" setting for bedtime use, which I asked him to set over the phone, but he said that when he tried that, the alarm didn't "go off" when his partner came in through the front door.

I don't have an engineers code, just a user code.
 05 August 2014 06:37 PM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: kitleach
I don't have an engineers code, just a user code.

That is probably your problem, since you have disturbed the wiring.

Regards
 05 August 2014 07:59 PM

Rulland

Check for a sounder tamper return at the panel, etc, short out the landing PIR and see if that stops it, as previously stated it could be a number of reasons tbh, you need to see the log, that would give you a clue as to what it may be.

-------------------------
Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 05 August 2014 11:19 PM

geov

Is it a Scantronic or menvier panel? If you can advise the panel spec e.g. 9800, 9448, etc, we should be able to help.
Also, using the User code you should be able to read the log and see what actually caused the alarm to activate.
Regards
 05 August 2014 11:59 PM

kitleach

The panel is Scantronic 9651.

Thanks
 06 August 2014 12:02 AM

kitleach

The RKP is either a 9940, 9941 or 9943 if that helps?
 06 August 2014 12:38 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: kitleach
The panel is Scantronic 9651.

Try a search or post on this link for the default code, or resetting the engineer's code.

http://ukpanels.com/forum1/forumdisplay.php?fid=202
 06 August 2014 04:45 PM

kitleach

Thanks, I have tried that forum, but cant seem to register.
 06 August 2014 04:54 PM

mapj1

try this book
around page 31...

regards Mike
 07 August 2014 04:41 PM

James Broughton

You might also find that you've inherited a problem.

If they've only just bought the house, it could be that the system has been unreliable for a while and the previous occupants hadn't had time/been bothered to get it looked at.

The log should help you out, unless it reset when you removed the power. You should be able to view the log from a user code as geov says, unless it's a set/unset only code.

You shouldn't need an engineer reset code to clear a tamper fault on a domestic system (there are some instances where you may though).

It may also be worth popping the cover off the PIR and having a nose around. You can find insects in there, which can be problematic if the sensor hasn't been sealed.

'This place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a supervisor with a sub-machine gun'
 09 August 2014 09:00 AM

Fm

Read the installation manual 2nd google listing
Reset the panel and start from scratch

Check your tampers etc.
Make a list of field devices and the terminations and double check terminations at panel
 15 August 2014 12:41 AM

kitleach

Just wanted to say thanks to those that tried helping.

Alarm seemed to be working fine when I returned to it, so I've given up - and have offered to pay for the previous company that serviced it to come out and have a look.

Charged £60 to move it. Has cost me loads in time, a nominal amount in parts (cable, enclosure for joints etc), and now £66 call-out for the alarm bloke,

Lesson learned!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.