Increase font size
Topic Title: Not a voltage optimiser
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 May 2014 12:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 May 2014 12:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DOUGIE1000

http://www.ukenergycompany.co.uk/how-it-works/

Discuss....

-------------------------
Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 02 May 2014 04:58 AM

broadgage

Sounds very dodgy to me.
Might be simple power factor correction, but since small consumers are billed for KWH and not penalised for poor power factor no saving in money would result from use of this device.

As energy costs rise, expect more of this sort of thing.
 02 May 2014 07:51 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

The FAQ refers to monthly bills in RM - Malaysian Ringgit - so sounds like it hails from that part of the world. Perhaps they meter VA rather than W there? (maybe)

I agree, looks like capacitive PF correction. While PF correction might be a socially beneficial thing to do (reducing current in the public network), I too can't see it saving money for the small consumer. In fact, with the increasing amount of electronic control in appliances, I wonder if the net load is really inductive. I can't see how that claim of reducing the load in the consumer's wires can be justified if the P.F. is installed close to the origin as they recommend either.

I suspect, if properly advised, trading standards will have a field day with this one.

- Andy.
 02 May 2014 08:08 AM

AdrianWint

From their own FAQ:

"NB : ......... If you want to disconnect the device from the power point, switch off the switch at the power point and wait for 10 seconds before disconnecting the 3 pin plug to allow for power to dissipate. (There is power in the capacitor) For a premise with a 3 phase wired system, consult a qualified electrician or consult the Seller of the Device. You can identify the 3 phase system by the red, blue and yellow power cables entering the meter. You will need to identify which phase carries the highest current and connect the PT-01 into the respective 13 Amps socket."

Hmmmmmm.... PFC under the cloak of energy saving again. When will these people realise that reducing the CURRENT doesn't necessarily reduce the REAL POWER!!!!!!!!!

Adrian
 02 May 2014 06:12 PM

DOUGIE1000

We're installing test sites and product has just undergone independent testing from independent university.

I have seen the demo kits working and have heard from example installs. Unfortunately the website has been written by a non electrical person. The 3phase model is normally hardwired and unable to isolate.

Dougie

02 May 2014 06:12 PM

DOUGIE1000

We're installing test sites and product has just undergone independent testing from independent university.

I have seen the demo kits working and have heard from example installs. Unfortunately the website has been written by a non electrical person. The 3phase model is normally hardwired and unable to isolate.

Dougie

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.