Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Forums
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 April 2014 06:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 April 2014 06:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jcm256

May be unimportant to some one way or the other but has nobody missed the rest of the forums? Moved to a place called communities
The communities appear to suffer from lack of support, difficult to manoeuvre, and one has to give up immunity in order to participate

Where they were was a better way for the IET to keep in touch with their people, without the whole world looking in. Always at a glance, one could see new posts and home in familiar subject matter and familiar technical writers always worthy of a read.

This is my view and hope not appear to sound as though it was a generally held view Good luck with the changes anyhow.

jcm

Edited: 13 June 2014 at 09:31 PM by jcm256
 28 April 2014 06:58 PM

Parsley

I agree JCM, I used to watch some of the others and haven't bothered since the change.

Regards
 29 April 2014 07:56 AM

statter

I agree too. It was useful to have them all in one place. They do seem much less active despite the signposting. More difficult to navigate too. Progress backwards I think.
 29 April 2014 09:17 AM

amandalewin

I wanted to post a link to sign ups for this years I'm an Engineer get me out of here in the informal forum but was told its been moved. I followed the link and couldn't find it so didn't post.

It might just be me, I can't see too well, but the my communities series of pages it pretty hard to navigate and use.

-------------------------
Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 29 April 2014 10:41 PM

jamieblatant

I used to ffollow the energy forum and a few others

It's rubbish now message boards work the IET is on so e quest to have the facebook of the engineering world I may complain

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 02 May 2014 11:21 PM

Legh

I notice that the 'read only' option on the other forum threads is somewhat a denial of my freedom of liberty as a member of the IET and my rights of autonomy to to choose to reply, answer existing, or start a new threads. Not that I utilize this option regularly.

Maybe there are other ways of entering into these threads but it has been made ambiguous to say the least.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 05 May 2014 10:11 PM

ennel

Legh - I suspect the 'read only' comment applies only to the old (pre-update) forums - it seems that if you manage to find your way into the 'My Community' page and then look through 'Discussion Categories' on the RH side, you can still get into the 'post update' forums with their old titles and post whether or not you are logged in.

I'm still somewhat bemused by what has been gained by the change but am prepared to see what develops over the next few weeks, to see if I can get 'in tune' with the design intent.

However at this time on this Monday night, 'Recent Topics' on the 'My Communities' page seem to be full of spam - which is also posted in the 'Q&A' and 'Opportunities to Get Involved' forums.

If these particular 'Recent Topics' are the first impression gained by a visitor to the 'discussions' section of this site of a supposedly professional institution, I must admit I'm embarrassed to be a member of that institution.

I can't find a 'Report this to a Moderator' option for those posts - is this a deliberate or accidental omission?

Hopefully by reporting this post to a moderator for this forum (which I have done), something may get done.

ennel
 05 May 2014 10:28 PM

ectophile

The equivalent of "report to moderator" on the new forums is "flag" - with the little flag icon.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 05 May 2014 11:37 PM

alancapon

The edit functionality has changed too. After posting, there is a limited time frame to apply any edits. This is a good thing in my opinion.

Regards,

Alan.
 06 May 2014 10:03 AM

chrisbradley

Originally posted by: ennel

However at this time on this Monday night, 'Recent Topics' on the 'My Communities' page seem to be full of spam - which is also posted in the 'Q&A' and 'Opportunities to Get Involved' forums.

If these particular 'Recent Topics' are the first impression gained by a visitor to the 'discussions' section of this site of a supposedly professional institution, I must admit I'm embarrassed to be a member of that institution.

I can't find a 'Report this to a Moderator' option for those posts - is this a deliberate or accidental omission?

Hopefully by reporting this post to a moderator for this forum (which I have done), something may get done.

ennel

Hi all,

I can confirm that my colleagues overseeing the MyCommunity forum areas are aware of the large spam influx in that area over the weekend and that it is currently being attended to.

Best regards,
Chris - IET Digital Services
 12 June 2014 06:12 PM

jcm256

Sir, clearly the IET should not have shifted the now closed for posting discussion forums on to world wide discussion forums, spam, football, advertisements abound you might as well have dumped all the closed forums in the bin. It must be costing a lot of money to have someone on call removing spam especially at the weekends. The IET forums were worldwide of course but under the banner of IET so hidden from those who did not avail the website first. What you have also done is put this post below on to the community forum - Those wishing to participate in our 'Wiring and the Regulations' discussions can view them here. Everyone world wide can see it , therefore, you are also directing spam traffic on to the two IET forums that stayed in place.

Allowing for all the considerations in favour for the move that what been done, the energy forum is closely paralleled with the wiring and regulation forum and has been a great loss of knowledge to those who read participate. Please consider putting energy forum at least back under the IET web site.

Regards
Jcm MIET
 12 June 2014 08:44 PM

jamieblatant

I second the above

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 12 June 2014 11:02 PM

peteTLM

thirded (if thats a word)

IMHO the shift of these other forums to a different area was a massive step backwards.
The forums all being on 1 'homepage' encouraged people from different sectors to look what others were doing and sharing of ideas, so thats long gone now.

0/10 marks.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 13 June 2014 01:56 PM

burn

Also agreed (fourthed?)

Is this turning into a petition?

I would also add that the forums that have been moved are used much less than before due to the loss of anonymity

Please consider a U turn

burn
 13 June 2014 03:11 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: peteTLM

thirded (if thats a word)

IMHO the shift of these other forums to a different area was a massive step backwards.

The forums all being on 1 'homepage' encouraged people from different sectors to look what others were doing and sharing of ideas, so thats long gone now.

0/10 marks.

I agree with this, it was nice to log on for a specific reason but then just have a browse in the other sectors.

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 13 June 2014 08:02 PM

davidwalker2

Like Amanda I used to come in for a specific forum and then browse the others. Iwas a regular if not daily viewer. The new forum in "My Community" is very clunky, difficult to navigate and unintuitive. The fact that it is unpopular is clearly seen by the drastic reduction in participation. Additionally the IET website homepage has a link to "Discussion Forums" which leads to the suspended posts.
This has been a bad, inexplicable move, to take what appeared to be a successful and vibrant discussion forum and turn it into something virtually unusable without instruction.
Let's hope they don't decide to move this one as well.
David
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.