IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Digital/Electronic e-Versions of The Regulations and Guidance Notes
Topic Summary: Are they worth getting?
Created On: 26 April 2014 04:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 April 2014 04:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

phantom9

Given the electronic media we have available to us now, is it worth going digital with the Regs? Do any of you use this format and can you recommend it? I am contemplating the Business Set, which is bloody expensive!, but can you just update once purchased as each amendment comes out? Thinking of putting all of it on my laptop and banishing hard copies to the cupboard out of the clutter.

Thank you for your help.
 26 April 2014 05:00 PM

OMS

We have it as a subscription along with Bristish Standards, relevant Industry body Guidance (BSRIA for example), Technical Indices etc as well as design software.

As you say, it's a bit expensive, so you really need to be in a position to make good use of it.

Given that BS 7671 and GN's don't change that frequently, most of my electrical colleagues don't participate to keep cost down and rely on thier battered collection of paper - but they can access it from any desktop if required for a small cost (internally)

It is handy if you are in any kind of reporting situation - I've lost count of the times I've copied out Reg 521.10.1 in correspondence to contractors who can't assemble trunking correctly and want to argue about it

So - depends on your budget and your potential use for it - personally as a single user with a cost of £350, I might go for it - as the paper will cost about the same. Make sure that it's in a version you can actually do something with however. I think some of the offers are e-book type which may well be strictly read only.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 26 April 2014 05:24 PM

sparkiemike

With the NICIEC we used to get the Essential Guide for free, which was a very useful service. It was easy to search and often provided guidance and quoted relevant regs so I never found the need for digital content from other providers. Now that the NICEIC/Certsure/ESC/Electrical Safety First etc etc are phasing it out I might have to reconsider.

Just a note, it is not free updates forever.
See the FAQ

What about future editions?
This is a one-off fee for this edition, any future editions will be priced nearer the time.

So any new editions of the Regs or Guidance notes will probably attract cost.
 28 April 2014 04:46 PM

Liz Wooderson

Hi

If you need to know more about the business package, best to call the IET, at the moment they have an offer to cover you for amendment 3 coming out next January or email wiringregsdigital@theiet.org
 28 April 2014 07:17 PM

Parsley

I have the business version and find it very useful. You can highlight add notes print and it also saves on typing. The initial fee included Amd 1 and 2 but don't think it will include 3.

Regards
 28 April 2014 07:42 PM

paulskyrme

Personally, I would say yes.

I have the version including the regs and all the guidance notes.

Not cheap, but useful, you can search for text without having to know the exact detail, you can print up to 10 pages to any format, add notes, and bookmarks.

TBH, I don't even now know where my paper books are!

They are somewhere safe, but I'm not worried about finding them any time soon.

I have it legitimately on my phone (Android), my iPad & my office laptop.
I have one "spare" computer version licence unused I think.

FWIW I have found them very good.

Member discount does help though.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.