IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Which edition
Topic Summary: did a CPC for lighting become a requirement?
Created On: 23 April 2014 07:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 April 2014 07:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Hello,

I'm looking back through old regs. Specifically, I'd like to know when lighting circuits first required a CPC.

The earliest I can find so far is section D6 of the 14th Edition. They don't call it a CPC of course. I don't see that same requirement in the 13th ed. Was that the point? About 1970?

Any advance on 14th?

Fank you.

Zs
 23 April 2014 07:36 PM

Grumpy

Well my house was 1965 and it didn't have a lighting CPC. However, it was obviously state of the art with three phase electric under floor heater (with weather compensation), a VOELCB and the main earth was a 500mm bit of scrap copper pipe buried in the gravel blinding under the concrete garage floor.
No recorded deaths!
 23 April 2014 08:12 PM

OMS

I would tend to pre 1966 - the first edition of the 14th in 1966 brought in the requirement for an earthing conductor on lighting circuits

Or so I've been told

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 23 April 2014 08:14 PM

normcall

1966 14th edition
However, good jobs tended to include a year or two earlier, but contracts that overlapped the 13th and 14th still had no earthing provision. We have at least 2 estate areas where it is very hit and miss as to whether you will find no ECC, cut off ECC, twisted via a scruit or actually connected to something.
Down the road, one side has, the other side hasn't. I know of a 1962 cottage on the Ashridge Estate that had twisted ECC (until I got at it!)

Norman
 23 April 2014 08:51 PM

Zs

Thank you very much for the help.

I coded this with a 2 recently. One of those where the installer had made it look as though it were connected to earth but it wasn't really connected. Metal fittings and no RCD. It has been queried because I&T is not retrospective.

The part of the house in question, an extension to a 1970's build, was built in about 1980.

I will advise accordingly. It's OK Norm, it wasn't on your Manor

Zs
 23 April 2014 09:13 PM

Rulland

Did some work at a property today, extra sockets etc, owner had ordered new fancy metal lights for lounge and dining-though they hadn't arrived, looked at the class 2 ceiling roses-no earth, but the property had had an EICR done a few months ago where Zs on the downstairs lights apparently achieved 0.78...................70% of wiring checked according to the paperwork.
Advised owner to confirm they were class II or double insulated before I'd fit.

Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.