Increase font size
Topic Title: T&E Clipped Direct
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 April 2014 02:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 April 2014 02:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KFH

What are people views on T&E clipped direct and accessible but not liable to be damaged such as clipped along the top of skirting.

I can understand putting it in trunking if it can be damaged and I would normally put it in mini trunking anyway as I believe it looks better than bare T&E.

However I occasionally get remedial work where accessible and barely accessible, but not liable to damage, clipped direct is coded as 2 or 3 and the client wants it fixed usually by putting it in trunking. This includes clipped along the top of skirting but has included supply to light switches on the wall of a church where the switches were mounted at about 5 ft above floor and the cables were neatly clipped up the wall, in this instance I thought I was completely wasting my time.

As I would not code T&E clipped direct on a I&T, unless it was liable to damage, am I missing something?
 16 April 2014 04:26 PM

AJJewsbury

T&E clipped to a surface in "normal" conditions is perfectly acceptable - indeed it was the traditional way of doing things for many a year (even in the pre-PVC days with TRS cables). Additional protection is normally only required where it would be expected to receive physical punishment - e.g. for a couple of inches above floor level where it's likely to be bashed by vacuum cleaners or furniture, where you'd traditionally see a bit of capping. The current trend for mini trunking has (in my opinion) far more to do with aesthetics - possibly prompted by the move away from discrete buckle clips to the rather more lumpy looking plastic cable clips.

T&E is just as tough as PVC flex - if not tougher - what would you say to someone who suggested that leads to appliances or pendent lampholders should be enclosed in mini-trunking?

- Andy.
 16 April 2014 05:43 PM

KFH

Andy,

Many thanks. I thought I was missing some instruction somewhere in the myriad of guidance notes, updates etc. As I get even more ancient I have begun to doubt all the things I have always known on a regular basis and appreciate the affirmation that I have not strayed too far from the path.

I too have a preference for the old buckle clips, a pain to install but they look so much better than the plastic ones. Having said that you could always put a big nail in the buckle clip if the plaster or mortar was a bit dodgy and it would be hidden by the cable, not so easy with a plastic clip.

Kevin
 16 April 2014 07:48 PM

Grumpy

Originally posted by: KFH

However I occasionally get remedial work where accessible and barely accessible, but not liable to damage, clipped direct is coded as 2 or 3

Does the inspector quote any reg numbers that have been contravened just out of interest?
 16 April 2014 09:31 PM

KFH

No reg numbers. Most of the rest of the comments were reasonable, but in all cases the customers wanted everything sorted. I did tell the customers they did not need to fix the T&E but without getting into a shouting match with the inspectors it was easier to put the T&E in mini trunking, although in one case the dressing was a work of art compared to the mini trunking I put in but I expect not everyone can appreciate clipped T&E.
 17 April 2014 11:10 AM

tomgunn

You know that you're not allowed to, by 'them', run two T&Es in one clip / side by side!

tom

-------------------------
Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 17 April 2014 05:31 PM

Fm

Tom,

Thats an old 2391 practical .

You get cable clips designed to take 2 cables flat, insted of using a 6mm clip for 2x2.5mm cables!!
 18 April 2014 09:07 AM

tomgunn

Hiya, Well thats what was pointed out to me about a year or so ago...

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

18 April 2014 10:38 AM

Zs

The two cable clips are nice. I like the ones made by Tower.

KFH, As above with regard to mechanical protection. In general though I love to see a good bit of clipping, especially when it is a few cables sharing a run. I oft look at the arrangement the installer has chosen (especially on the older jobs). I imagine the pleasure taken in some of the perfect geometry. Sometimes it is a shame to take it down.

Zs
 18 April 2014 10:58 AM

stateit

Originally posted by: Zs
I imagine the pleasure taken in some of the perfect geometry.
Zs

The swearing, the grunting, the sweat dripping off the eyebrows as you are hunched up in an abnormal position, clips held in teeth, trying to swing a hammer in a restricted space...

Love it

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 18 April 2014 12:53 PM

daveparry1

Side by side is ok Tom, it's one above the other in one clip they don't like! (2391 practical question)
 18 April 2014 01:47 PM

dickllewellyn

How about side by side on edge? Or a bunch in a P clip?

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 18 April 2014 02:15 PM

daveparry1

Not sure about the p clip Dick but side by side on edge is no good either, not good for heat dissipation, same as laying flat one on top of the other.
 21 April 2014 11:27 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: daveparry1

Side by side is ok Tom, it's one above the other in one clip they don't like! (2391 practical question)

Hi... knew there was something in the air about that... thanks!

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

22 April 2014 11:59 AM

OMS

LoL - I'm not sure I should admit to 3 x 1.5mm2 T&E dressed in "on edge" and captured under a 6.0mm2 Thorsman clip, then

I did derate for grouping, so ......................

OMS

Failure is always an option
 22 April 2014 12:13 PM

topmark

Originally posted by: stateit

Originally posted by: Zs

I imagine the pleasure taken in some of the perfect geometry.

Zs

The swearing, the grunting, the sweat dripping off the eyebrows as you are hunched up in an abnormal position, clips held in teeth, trying to swing a hammer in a restricted space...

and then the bloody phone rings !

Love it
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.