Topic Title: Time to leave NAPIT?
Topic Summary: Nice!
Created On: 23 February 2014 09:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 February 2014 09:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mitten

Been with Napit many years now say i cant have full scope membership because i dont hold qualification to inspect and test,
need 2394 & 2395
I have 2391 practical but failed theory
Is it time to move on

-------------------------
Jason
 23 February 2014 10:33 AM

tomgunn

My sons now with the NIC EIC as an approved contractor. Go for it!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 23 February 2014 10:43 AM

mitten

was he with Napit?

Jason
 23 February 2014 11:17 AM

Ampman

Surely you will need 2391 any way to be nic eic ?

Save your money just re sit the exam ?
 23 February 2014 11:26 AM

mitten

dont need 2391 for nic as far as i am aware

Jason
 23 February 2014 12:04 PM

daveparry1

I think they allow you a certain amount of time to get 2391 (or whatever it is now) I believe for full scope they wanted 2391 whithin 1 year although I might be wrong on that.
 23 February 2014 12:32 PM

Legh

@Jason,
I do not mean to be too contentious but...
you do not sound like a good advertisement as a fully trained, qualified, experienced, or whatever sparks
Now the questions I would ask are:
1/ can this person inspect and test his own work so that I would have a reliable certificate at the end of the job?
2/ Can this person provide me with a certificate of works to demonstrate competence for the LABC?
3/ If I needed a Landlords certificate could I rely on this person to provide me with something better than a 'drive by'?
4/ In the current climate of electrical things (UKAS and government consultations) will another ECS take you on board to do what would be regarded as skilled work?

Now there are always mitigating circumstances which perhaps we haven't heard yet.....

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 23 February 2014 12:51 PM

mitten

legh
thanks for comments
i have been an electrician for the last 23years and have been inspected every year since part pee
so i would have thought i am competant enough by now to test and inspect and fill in test results

Jason
 23 February 2014 01:54 PM

Legh

@Jason,
I do understand this situation.
I had a student who had been in the business for over forty years but even though he could pass the 2391 practical exam he just couldn't get his head around the theory paper.
He knew all the answers ok but froze when trying to write them down in the exam.
I would feel confident to underwrite his electrical work, and would be very happy for him to come and work for me, but as of yet he is not registered with ECS, AFAIK, and since it was a few months since we last met, he may well be retired.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 23 February 2014 02:11 PM

mitten

Originally posted by: Legh

@Jason,

I do understand this situation.

I had a student who had been in the business for over forty years but even though he could pass the 2391 practical exam he just couldn't get his head around the theory paper.

He knew all the answers ok but froze when trying to write them down in the exam.

I would feel confident to underwrite his electrical work, and would be very happy for him to come and work for me, but as of yet he is not registered with ECS, AFAIK, and since it was a few months since we last met, he may well be retired.

Legh

Or he my have lost the will to live!!!

Jason
 23 February 2014 02:28 PM

John Peckham

Firstly NAPIT on this occasion must be commended for not compromising on standards. That is a rare circumstance and one the other bodies should be emulating. There are plenty of NICEIC QSs around who have only the 2382 Regs. qualifications who retain their grandfather rights and can stay registered as long as they keep paying their fees regardless of competency.

Mitten

The 2391 exam is now obsolete and has been replaced by the 2394 and 2395 qualifications. I teach these qualifications and have taught the 2391 for 10 years. Provided my students have some basic electrical knowledge and experience, and more importantly are prepared to put themselves out and do regular self study away from the classroom, I can get them through the assessments and exams. I do each qualification 2 nights a week for 10 weeks the first week being electrical theory revision. I should not have to do this as the students should come with this knowledge but many of them do not.

If you are in the Essex area or can commute happy to take you on as a student?

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 23 February 2014 02:38 PM

mitten

Thanks for the offer John bit too far away which is a shame.
How long is the 2394/5 course?

Jason
 23 February 2014 04:42 PM

John Peckham

Jason

I do the 2394 2 nights a week for 10 weeks. The 2395 is the same. I teach the 2394 starting in January each year, then April for the 2395 and September for the 2396.

John Peckham

24 February 2014 03:54 PM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: John Peckham

Firstly NAPIT on this occasion must be commended for not compromising on standards. That is a rare circumstance and one the other bodies should be emulating. There are plenty of NICEIC QSs around who have only the 2382 Regs. qualifications who retain their grandfather rights and can stay registered as long as they keep paying their fees regardless of competency.

Mitten

The 2391 exam is now obsolete and has been replaced by the 2394 and 2395 qualifications. I teach these qualifications and have taught the 2391 for 10 years. Provided my students have some basic electrical knowledge and experience, and more importantly are prepared to put themselves out and do regular self study away from the classroom, I can get them through the assessments and exams. I do each qualification 2 nights a week for 10 weeks the first week being electrical theory revision. I should not have to do this as the students should come with this knowledge but many of them do not.

If you are in the Essex area or can commute happy to take you on as a student?

Hello John. Does this mean that I may as well through my 2391 cert in the bin? Is it legal tender now or not worth the paper that its printed on?

Thanks...

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

24 February 2014 03:59 PM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: John Peckham

Hello John. I have asked others how to get the 'grandfather rights' - without much feedback... could you enlighten me as I have been a sparks since..... (1967 - but dont tell anyone, ok?).

Thanks.....

Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

24 February 2014 04:09 PM

John Peckham

Tom

You are in good company as I also have the 2391 which is still an acceptable I&T qualification. If you have a City and Guilds 2382 you could sign up for membership with NICEIC or NAPIT.

The grandfather rights bit is if you have already been a QS in the last 2 years then you have the qualification to be a QS for life. It matters not that you became a QS when you just needed a 2381 or a 2382 certificate and don't have a Level 3 Inspecting and Testing Qualification.

So if you have 5 jobs to inspect plus the various book, bits and bobs and more importantly the cash you could join NICEIC or NAPIT Tom.

John Peckham

24 February 2014 06:51 PM

stateit

Mitten: Won't NAPIT let you do the course at their Mansfield or Bristol center at an OK rate?

Either way it's going to cost you. NIC will be wanting to see some proof of competence surely?

Technical Training Solutions , as discussed on this forum recently, have some flexibility in their pricing scheme for one-man bands with a bit of sweet talking on the phone Remember their headline prices are for corporate pricing. They have an absolutely stunning pass rate - due to quality teaching.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 24 February 2014 08:26 PM

peteTLM

It hasnt been that long that the 2391 exam has gone, shame you didnt see the brick wall at the end of the tunnel for the 91' exam, as there was what seemed like a 3 year running in parallel period with the 2 new ones.

Maybe they can give you exemption on the practical unit credits from before??

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 24 February 2014 08:28 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: tomgunn

Hello John. Does this mean that I may as well through my 2391 cert in the bin? Is it legal tender now or not worth the paper that its printed on?

Thanks...

Tom

Im still proud of my 2391, and would have it in preference to a multiple choice new one.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 24 February 2014 10:23 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Crazycolours

2391 was the Gold Standard and still is in my book.

C&G Qualifications are something to be proud of and will always be valid even if the syllabus is modified your original will always be accepted.

C.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Time to leave NAPIT?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.