Increase font size
Topic Title: Mature candidate route to electrician
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 February 2014 02:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 February 2014 02:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lyledunn

I understand that the old 2356 level 3 NVQ is no longer available and has been replaced by a 2357 qualification. Has anyone gone through this from the perspective of a mature candidate? If so can you advise how knowledge base was assessed and if AM2 had to be taken?

-------------------------
Regards,

Lyle Dunn
 21 February 2014 03:40 PM

John Peckham

Lyle

The 2357 is the apprentice route. After the City and Guilds and the hangers on invented this route and course it was pointed out to them that if you could not get an apprenticeship, or you were a job changer, then there was no route for you to qualification. So low and behold they invented the 2365. My college teaches this to school leavers who do not have an apprenticeship or even a job of any sort. They have dropped all basic installation training for adults.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 21 February 2014 07:03 PM

ericmark

Having started as a motor mechanic then auto electrician and then moving to fixed installation I was in the situation of having not formal qualifications but a vast knowledge base.

When I ended up disabled due to power being reinstated while I was working on the installation I decided to use the time to upgrade my formal qualifications. I started with access to IT but looked at the electrical side and went to a C&G 2356 and I quickly realised this was for thick people with no grasp of electrics.

I could not believe the answers given by fellow students who did not even realise gold would conduct electricity. I lasted 1 day and I talked to the lecturer and he agreed my presence would disrupt the class as they would just stand back and let me answer every question and I would learn very little.

Instead I took a foundation degree in electrical and electronic engineering a level 5 qualification which did tax my maths my understanding of logs was very much upgraded. I found the technical easy but the maths was really a challenge.

However the course was tailored to the mature student and I found it challenging. Some bits I found easy like PLC programming others like PIC programming I found rather hard to put it mildly.

Much is down to the maths. And that is also very variable I found imaginary numbers easy but calculus really taxing quite a differentiation between the two excuse the pun!

With maths being such a major part of the course your previous training will really be important.. Some adults will have already would have already have the back ground others would be completely lost. Oddly as a pre-decimalisation guy working to base 16 was easy to me but younger students really found it hard. I was taught how to use a slide rule which really dates me.
 21 February 2014 07:28 PM

Avatar for redtoblackblewtopieces.
redtoblackblewtopieces

Llye, I think it depends on wether the candidate is new to the industry or has prior experance and knowlege. If the latter they do the 2357 and nvq then the AM2 for full electrician status.
Kevin

Safety through a Standard
Compliance by Approved Documents
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.