Increase font size
Topic Title: Third party inspection
Topic Summary: Manchester
Created On: 20 February 2014 08:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 February 2014 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

Hi, are there any third party inspectors in or around Stockport?
If so how much (ballpark) to inspect replacement CU?
 20 February 2014 10:53 PM

Legh

Well, you have just had 2.5 hours and there's been no reply - so not much going on up North.....I hope this is a not a typical un-response as most of the best engineers have come from the land of the midnight sun....

Does the sun set in Stockport ?

Legh

-------------------------
Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 21 February 2014 12:01 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

geoffsd

Assuming you mean the new scheme, surely there are no third party inspectors yet.
 21 February 2014 03:53 AM

MrP

Nowt wrong with Manchester in fact sunny Stockport is not such a bad place at all
What's the criteria to being a third party inspector? Done lots of third party inspections, not back in Manchester till late March however I would think the cost of an inspection of a CU would outweigh the installation cost.

MrP day two
 21 February 2014 10:16 AM

Zoro

Well the minister at the time Don Foster, stated that the cost would be on average £87.

To get to this price DCLG will no doubt abandon all safety requirements and do their utmost to make the Scheme provider profitable, as they have done in the past

So, allow circuits to be energised before testing.

Allow the DIYer or builder etc. to sign for Design and Installation, without meeting the Competence requirements of BS7671

Not require UKAS accreditation.

Allow the Scheme to write their own regulations, that they will be fully compliant with, according to themselves.

Still only a few more months and the minister Stephen Williams will get wise and move on very quickly like the others, the hottest seat in politics.
 21 February 2014 11:24 AM

rocknroll

Well the minister at the time Don Foster, stated that the cost would be on average £87.

You do realise that this referred to a cost effective alternative to the risk inspections at the moment carried out by LABC and private BC's, the independent inspectors will still be able to carry out their own EIC's, EICR's at competitive rates.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 22 February 2014 09:19 AM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: geoffsd

Assuming you mean the new scheme, surely there are no third party inspectors yet.

Yes that's what I meant. I'm not really up to speed on this, but thanks for replying.

Obviously I've not joined a scheme this year so the odd time where Part P is required I have hit a wall. Thank you anyway.
 22 February 2014 09:57 PM

jcm256

If Third party inspections announced some time ago (for electrical in buildings) Straightforward in theory, should have been introduced before now. Is there some dilemma, would it allow the unscrupulous to flout the rules and get away with it.

All is not well in the building trade itself:

The Federation of Master Builders Cymru said a licensing system needed, like gas safe (for buildings)
The federation's Ifan Glyn said the current system of inspections was not working, and regulation like that used in the gas industry, was required.
"At the moment my grandmother can call herself a builder," he said. "(She can) put her number in the Yellow Pages and be in someone's house the next day, making structural alterations to that house and in our opinion that isn't right," he told BBC Radio Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26294206
 23 February 2014 10:39 AM

tomgunn

And what will that achieve? More clubs to join... more builders having to look over their shoulders.... and the Polish builders wont give a damn and just carry on and laugh, as they have been doing for many years, at how the English carry on - having to jump through even more hoops and for what? SOD ALL!

Keep everyones fingers out of the pie and let the industry sort itself out because whatever 'they' do 'they' WILL cock it up... take a look at whats happened to the part P scam!

Tom ... and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 23 February 2014 12:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

geoffsd

As notifiable work now is virtually only 'New Consumer Units' and 'New Electric Showers', this is all that anyone will want 'third party inspected'.

I have been wondering - How do you 'third party inspect' a consumer unit?

Would you just look at it and perhaps test the RCDs - global IR?
Any meaningful testing would mean starting again, wouldn't it?

Then, what if it fails?
Has TPI been paid by irate DIYer prior to the work?
Does TPI have any power equivalent to LABC?

Minefield?
 23 February 2014 04:37 PM

Zoro

Third Party Part P (electrical installations in dwellings) Certification Schemes are:

.BSI Assurance UK Limited
.NAPIT Registration Limited
.Stroma Certification Limited.

The intention is to notify successful applicants by the end of January 2014 and authorise them in regulations to come into force by 6 April 2014.
 23 February 2014 08:46 PM

peteTLM

Originally posted by: tomgunn

A and the Polish builders wont give a damn and just carry on and laugh, as they have been doing for many years,

Yes, the very worst electrics possible.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.