Topic Title: A bad installation?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 February 2014 09:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 February 2014 09:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

allaway

At my gym they are refurbishing and I was shocked when I used the showers.

The ceilings have been removed making all pipework and wiring visible and accessible.

The lights are 12v 35 or 50w halogens fed from individual transformers - connectors and transformers are strapped to various hot and cold water pipes, often in close proximity to compression fittings. The hot water is at around 65-70 degrees and the cold pipes are laden with drips of condensation. Circular junction boxes are dangling - supported only by the flexes they are joining.

Fortunately they are not yet powered up.

So, cables can get very hot, condensation can drip into the transformers ...

Any comments? Acceptable or not?
 20 February 2014 10:06 AM

Banners

Good job you were not "electrically" shocked. If you look through Chapter 13 Fundamental Principles (BS7671) you will, probably, be able to make an informed decision as to whether it is acceptable or not.
 20 February 2014 11:03 AM

broadgage

I would say not acceptable.
Risk of thermal damage to cables or transformers from hot water pipes.
Risk of cable ties failing due to heat and cables etc. being left unsupported.
Risk of water damage to presumably not splashproof equipment due to condensation from cold water pipes.

And rather O/T both the hot and cold water pipes should be thermally insulated.
 20 February 2014 11:10 AM

anastasis

If it was powered up, it would be totally unacceptable for many reasons, and almost certainly in breach of HSWA and EAWR and therefore illegal.

But it's not clear from your post whether the lights are new ones or old ones, also what type of fitings they are.

If they are old ones, perhaps a spark disconnected the supply, then a builder stripped out the ceiling, but he then tied everything to the pipes because he didn't want to touch the electrics. The spark might be coming back to remove the lights. If it's all going in the skip, it wouldn't matter if it gets damp.

If they are new lights awaiting a ceiling installation, then it's really bad as you wouldn't want them getting damp in the meantime. And if they are downlights, they'd have to be disconnected before the ceiling goes in. Seems a very strange way of doing things.
 20 February 2014 11:36 AM

allaway

They are new ones ... and at present just the lamps in simple un-protected fittings hanging on their wires - connectors are strapped to the pipework.

If the ceiling is the same as before, it will be the compressed cardboard fibre boards.

Having the 12v lamps in the ceiling is not really the concern; it is what is above and the potential for problems - as broadgage has commented.
 20 February 2014 12:16 PM

rocknroll

LOL Quite sad really, the company knows that gym members are the biggest whingers of all time so they keep the showers open whilst there is a refurbishment so you dont have to drag your stinking body back home and demand a refund and you still moan about there being no ceiling and the accessories are tied up on a temporary basis, poor old gym is on a 'no win' situation here.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 20 February 2014 12:28 PM

marclambert

Bit touchy RnR?
More amusing is why they all want to park so close to the entrance, god forbid they get any exercise.
Round my way the exercisists clog up the road rather than use a car park 50yds away to access the cycle route.
I am not understanding.
 20 February 2014 12:49 PM

allaway

RnR

They have finished one half of the showers and are doing the other half. It certainly does not look temporary. The only reason the ceiling is missing is that the supports for the tiles cannot be installed until it is all completed.
 20 February 2014 01:08 PM

mikejumper

If all the huffing, puffing and heat generated in gyms were harnessed for the national grid we could probably power a small city.
 20 February 2014 01:17 PM

OMS

More amusing is why they all want to park so close to the entrance, god forbid they get any exercise.
Round my way the exercisists clog up the road rather than use a car park 50yds away to access the cycle route.
I am not understanding.

The bit you're not understanding is the concept of " It's not enough to be doing some exercise, you need to be seen to be doing some exercise"

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 20 February 2014 02:04 PM

marclambert

I don't want to be accused of being heightist or fattist or whatever but...shouldn't the sale of Lycra be banned to certain people?
Being seen to be doing is fine but why should I be put off my jam roly poly by yards of stretched Duppont fibre wobbling past my window
 20 February 2014 02:52 PM

Banners

Is Jam roly poly a euphemism I haven't come across?
 20 February 2014 03:05 PM

marclambert

No Banners, it's a pudding
get the link now??
To be fair, some of the sights would put you off your euphemism as well!
 20 February 2014 03:12 PM

OMS

Well, it's a typical British thing - in some areas, those who look like they spend least time in the Gym wear proportionately more sportswear - until you reach the point where those who never enter the gym are bedecked in huge trainers (Nike), 3/4 shorts with ties at the hems, track suit tops (white, Adidas) and golf caps(Burberry)

Hang on, I think I've just described Essex man - so no idea why he would be running past your window

Regards

OMS

20 February 2014 03:24 PM

marclambert

Thought the only time Essex man was running was when the XR3i was broken and the rozzers were hot on the tail

Got to love a stereotype, they're so stereo.............
Was I really going to write that??
 20 February 2014 05:21 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: marclambert
Being seen to be doing is fine but why should I be put off my jam roly poly by yards of stretched Duppont fibre wobbling past my window

You could end up joining them if you keep eating jam roly polys.
 20 February 2014 06:00 PM

rocknroll

pont fibre wobbling past my window

I know the ones you mean we call them 'sweaty betty's' the type in their lycra who sit in front of you and do open leg exercises, whilst that might turn some men on I have vivid dreams of Brixham fish market. LOL

Must admit myself and my salty friend go to the gym, but we are under training for <<<<look left in June, me more than him after a major upset and weight loss last year, no lycra here just a pair of old shorts and T shirt is the order of the day, have not got time to walk around looking in the full length mirror all the time like some, no point our body's are f***** anyway but we have the inner strength, stamina and endurance thats what matters. LOL

regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 20 February 2014 06:12 PM

OldSparky

pics??
 20 February 2014 06:18 PM

OMS

I'll get you sorted out Rock - right on the doorstep.

It'll mean wearing Khaki and you might need to get a Grade 1, but the lads on the bottom field at Lympstone will teach you all you need to know about exercise - and mud, and pain.

but we have the inner strength, stamina and endurance thats what matters

Well, if you do, you'll be a new man after that - if not, you'll be beyond caring

Regards

OMS

20 February 2014 07:03 PM

rocknroll

Well, if you do, you'll be a new man after that - if not, you'll be beyond caring

LOL Sitting at the bar in the gym the conversation took on a similar slant, the first leg to Kinsale will be fine, but the second leg to Treguier where the best party takes place is a challenge, our attitude is come on Mr Atlantic bring it on, give it your best shot we are going to make that party, after that who cares. LOL

regards

IET » Wiring and the regulations » A bad installation?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.