IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The ambulance chasers are after you PV Installers now!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 February 2014 04:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 February 2014 04:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Afternoon,
You cant earn a living now at anything without somebody trying to earn compensation from your work.
I heard on the radio today a solicitors firm asking you to call them if you have had PV solar panels fitted and you think you were mis sold them, or they are not as productive as expected etc etc etc.

Check your prof indeminity insurance if I were you ladies and gents as could be the next PPI circus!!

My curry wasnt spicey enough for my usual Vindaloo on Saturday so I think I might have to claim for lack of digestional and gum numming stress. ( I think digestional is a word I have made up but doesnt it sound like a proper legal term!!)
Regards
Antric
 17 February 2014 05:46 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: antric2

Afternoon,

You cant earn a living now at anything without somebody trying to earn compensation from your work.

Interesting Antric. I guess it was only a matter of time and there are probably some very iffy installations out there where the sun shines. I wonder if this is oriented toward pay back though, and if being mis-sold will hold water because I remember a rush to get it installed just before the tariffs were reduced.

on the subject of somebody trying to earn compensation for our work as per your opening.. I've often marvelled at electricians with all the badges and years of experience who choose to be employed by electrical contractors and not set up for themselves. Some of those guys really are the heart/brains/hands of the company they work for and some earn so little. Now that has got to be to do with the ease of being employed, but...

Zs
 17 February 2014 06:32 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

24Hour

yes I heard this to, a company called solar reclaim , heard on smooth uk,
says something like, where u promised so much off your electricity bills etc,
did u pay by card,
did u get a loan,

we can get all of your money back etc etc,

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 17 February 2014 06:43 PM

Grumpy

If you followed MCS and REAL guidelines, as I did, then you will have nothing to worry about.
However, if you got your panels from a guy down the pub . . . .
 17 February 2014 07:21 PM

prophet

So you get all your money back AND keep the FIT?

Tom
 17 February 2014 07:32 PM

Rulland

The feckin countries gone mad tbh.

-------------------------
Those who make no mistakes do very little work!!......
 17 February 2014 07:45 PM

Grumpy

Originally posted by: prophet

So you get all your money back AND keep the FIT?

Tom

You'll probably find that the one's kicking off are of the "rent a roof" variety so, no, they don't get the FIT!
 17 February 2014 08:59 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: Zs

....... Some of those guys really are the heart/brains/hands of the company they work for and some earn so little. Now that has got to be to do with the ease of being employed, but...

Zs

Hiya Zs,
You have hit the nail on the head.One of my mates in particular,known him nearly 40 years,run rings round most with his job but likes the Mon - Fri 8am start 5pm finish then does what he wants in his own time..no hassle.
But if you treat self employment as a sport it can add a bit of shine and meaning to the job.

The 2 times I have been scammed is by 2 customers saying I had put plug in air freshners on a dining table, in another room I wasnt working in, and on a varnished floor and trust me...airfreshner is best paint stripper I ve seen.
Regards
Antric
 17 February 2014 09:57 PM

Zs

I trust you on that because the guitar I have had since childhood has a big patch with no varnish on the back. Where I leaned it against a wall over such a device. Oddly I too have had the customer accusing me of putting an air freshener on a varnished table in a room which I didn't know existed scenario.

I've had a look at the PV mis selling thing and yes, it's out there today so I expect this will be the thin end of a wedge. It is about the money though. Refreshing in the light of all the part P stuff and rogue traders joy at finding carp installation work. I chose not to go down the PV route because I thought it might be a gravy train that one day ran out of gravy to transport. My view was that it was too easy on one front, so might be too easy to copy, and that it involved too many people on another front. Grumpy here prefers not to have to deal with too many random people on a project and likes a small team of experts. The technology is fantastic, the polar bears will be happier ( give or take the carbon footprint of making the stuff, about which we don't hear much).

I went to look at a job this evening where the homeowner is targeting a fully sustainable existence. Everything from PV to batteries for storing sun-generated electricity. I drove home wondering how much of a carbon footprint is involved in printing the money it is going to take, producing the batteries/panels/kingspan, building the sheds for all the kit to live in etc.

Are there any of us who got involved in taking a cut of the tariffs and the side of PV that is being highlighted today? I think that most on here who can do PV have it as a skill rather than a business model. Err, the employees rather than the business owners.

I wonder if the installation of power supplies for electric cars will one day be scrutinised in this way? I have already seen a couple of howlers which were clearly not installed by experts.

Zs
 18 February 2014 09:36 AM

Banners

Zs: "......... there are probably some very iffy installations out there where the sun shines."

It is probably also just as true that there are some very decent installs out there where the sun doesn't shine!
 18 February 2014 11:38 AM

perspicacious

"It is probably also just as true that there are some very decent installs out there where the sun doesn't shine!"

I wouldn't want anything installed where the sun doesn't shine

Regards

BOD
 18 February 2014 04:30 PM

Banners

Me neither, perspicacious (please imagine winky face here!)

If, and when, the first successful claim occurs then I imagine that overnight a lot of companies (PV Installers) would cease trading overnight, become insolvent, declare bankruptcy etc. etc. etc. before any claim can be made. My biggest bugbear with the PV 'dream' is who bears the cost of failed components such as inverters and who pays to have the PV arrays taken off and put back on and recommissioned when a roof repair becomes necessary? Obviously the homeowner. I think, in our not too sunny climes, a lot of people will, in the future, regret being in the early mad rush to put up the panels.

Despite what I say above, though, I do agree that solar panels are, all in all, a good thing as the technology is pretty smart and solar energy is a desirable source of powering homes and industry. Hopefully, say in 20-25 years time, there will be smart solutions available where the roof tile itself is the solar panel (installed as a home is built) and all connections are on the inside of the loft making for simplified plug and play connections and isolation of faulty panels etc. My gripe is that it is currently over-hyped as being a great investment when it is still (installation and maintenance costs considered) a relatively expensive solution for most people to provide a means of boiling a kettle and, is expensive for the rest of us, the 'have nots', who subsidise the 'haves' through FIT.
 18 February 2014 07:49 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: Banners

Me neither, perspicacious (please imagine winky face here!)

If, and when, the first successful claim occurs then I imagine that overnight a lot of companies (PV Installers) would cease trading overnight, become insolvent, declare bankruptcy etc. etc. etc. before any claim can be made. My biggest bugbear with the PV 'dream' is who bears the cost of failed components such as inverters and who pays to have the PV arrays taken off and put back on and recommissioned when a roof repair becomes necessary? Obviously the homeowner. I think, in our not too sunny climes, a lot of people will, in the future, regret being in the early mad rush to put up the panels.

Despite what I say above, though, I do agree that solar panels are, all in all, a good thing as the technology is pretty smart and solar energy is a desirable source of powering homes and industry. Hopefully, say in 20-25 years time, there will be smart solutions available where the roof tile itself is the solar panel (installed as a home is built) and all connections are on the inside of the loft making for simplified plug and play connections and isolation of faulty panels etc. My gripe is that it is currently over-hyped as being a great investment when it is still (installation and maintenance costs considered) a relatively expensive solution for most people to provide a means of boiling a kettle and, is expensive for the rest of us, the 'have nots', who subsidise the 'haves' through FIT.

Evening,
I agree with you, Banners, many firms will go bump I think even before the 1st successfull claim goes through.
As for maintenance of existing PV installations any of us can take it on as no regulation or registration is needed to service\repair\replace modules....just an understanding of how it works and how not to get zapped whilst working on it on a sunny day.

In the future, yes, roof tiles even your windows and patio door glass will be made to be PV\energy generating and miniscule units fitted in waste water pipes will be capable of generating small amounts of energy from waste water that flows to drain so there is plenty on the future horizon.
Regards
Antric
 24 February 2014 03:05 PM

AJJewsbury

If, and when, the first successful claim occurs then I imagine that overnight a lot of companies (PV Installers) would cease trading overnight, become insolvent, declare bankruptcy etc. etc. etc. before any claim can be made.

A lot have already gone - since our "business orientated" government didn't understand the concept of business confidence when messing with the FIT tariffs last year (or was it the year before).
- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.