Topic Title: Energy thieves
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 January 2014 09:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 January 2014 09:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jcm256

20 January 2014 02:14 PM

John Peckham

On BBC1 at 7.30 tonight.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 20 January 2014 09:28 PM

slittle

Made interesting viewing...

Won't be "trying it at home"

Stu
 20 January 2014 11:01 PM

ebee

Being honest and working for a living does not pay.
Being dishonest does.
Wether you wear a swag-bag, highwayman's mask or a Fred Godwin suit then only the downright Basty Nastards win.
Why oh why do we bother?

What a topsy turvy world!

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 20 January 2014 11:09 PM

Banners

The scale of it was certainly surprising. A journalist was being interviewed about the subject earlier on in the day and said they went round to a 81 year old woman's property as they suspected a bypassed mete. They kept asking her who had done it as they did not want to disconnect her. Eventually she went to the kitchen sink cupboard, took out an adjustable wrench and said, 'Would you like me to show you how I did it?' The one with the bike innertube bypassing the gas the journalist on the radio said the woman had bought a £1 spanner from the pound shop and used it to disconnect the pipe.

Don't we have a saying that 'Necessity is the mother of invention'? British ingenuity at its best!
 20 January 2014 11:21 PM

ebee

I once was targeted with an attempted scam by a "little old lady".
I rewired her house.
She tried to claim that I inadvertently reconnected her shower and caused flooding damaging her ceiling whilst she was away on holiday.
She thought she might might claim on my PL insurance because being a kind old sole she did not think I would suffer from her deception,
Although I discounted and refuted everything she said it took me about 4 weeks to realise she was trying it on.
I concluded that her "Electrician" son had put her up to it.

Call me naive but it took me that long to click.
(It took me two weeks to realise it was a deliberate con rather than her just being confused)

I shoulda` got the Police involved.
Ehh I am thick

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Edited: 21 January 2014 at 06:17 AM by ebee
 21 January 2014 08:22 AM

broadgage

A cynic like me suspects that the rapidly growing opposition to smart meters is because they will make theft of electricity easier to detect.

A smart meter is intended to detect and report power failures, INCLUDING UNAUTHORISED REMOVAL OF THE CUT OUT FUSE.
Most forms of electricity theft innvolve the removal of the fuse whilst illegal alterations are made.

Likewise with a tradditional meter, the pattern of consumption is not recorded, only the total used.
A smart meter "knows" WHEN the energy was used, and for example, no consumption whatsoever for a week would be grounds for suspicion and perhaps furthur investigation.
Smart meters can be interogated in real time, and no consumption being registered at a property with the lights on would be cause for suspicion. (not proof in itself of course, they might be useing a generator, or batteries, or even gas lights, but cause for investigation)
 21 January 2014 02:18 PM

tattyinengland

Originally posted by: broadgage

A cynic like me suspects that the rapidly growing opposition to smart meters is because they will make theft of electricity easier to detect.

A smart meter is intended to detect and report power failures, INCLUDING UNAUTHORISED REMOVAL OF THE CUT OUT FUSE.

Most forms of electricity theft innvolve the removal of the fuse whilst illegal alterations are made.

Likewise with a tradditional meter, the pattern of consumption is not recorded, only the total used.

A smart meter "knows" WHEN the energy was used, and for example, no consumption whatsoever for a week would be grounds for suspicion and perhaps furthur investigation.

Smart meters can be interogated in real time, and no consumption being registered at a property with the lights on would be cause for suspicion. (not proof in itself of course, they might be useing a generator, or batteries, or even gas lights, but cause for investigation)

My annual holidays - often a month long to distant climes would definitely cause an issue then - inevitably the water and electrics all get turned off at the main tap/switch.
 21 January 2014 03:03 PM

broadgage

Yes, there is no law against taking a long holiday and turning the power of at the mains when so doing.

I suspect however that a little (possibly very discreet) investigation would result if a smart meter showed no consumption at all for weeks.

MOST people leave the freezer on, and probably a few other things, so the absence of any consumption for weeks that MIGHT suggest meter tampering.
 21 January 2014 06:16 PM

mikejumper

Another downside of energy theft is that there would be no incentive to conserve energy, and ultimately that affects everyone.
 21 January 2014 06:49 PM

jamieblatant

I've had the boys round

A few years ago had a week off and in went a load auara gu10 replacment led ,4 w as apposed to 35 / 50 s they were very new at the time nobody used led,s that weren't crap they were the first of the good ones

Also a few other saving measures in the form of pir,s for some of the lights and a relay for the alarm to tell some controls that no one was it ,this then ran the heating on a lower set stat and turned off some sockets

Any how I continued sending in my meter readings online for a few months then one day a knock on the door from the meter man

No he did not look like a meter man so I asked for id and I called eon to confirm who he was and he started to get a bit irate that I wouldent let him in I was on the defensive slightly

Any how they confirm he is the meter man, I go back to him , he don't look like one then I notice a bmw blocking my drive ,I ask if all meter men can afford to drive a bmw then he tells me he is fraud I tell him I am a specailist controls sparky and poit out my van and his penny drops

Any how I invite him in and give him a brew and he has a look at the meter and then asks about all my heating controls and were can he get some of the LEDS from in chatting for 2 hours I got some right old howlers out of him on what people do

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 21 January 2014 07:17 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

weirdbeard

I bet there's loads of gas meter cogs being filed off as we speak!
 21 January 2014 07:32 PM

jamieblatant

Originally posted by: weirdbeard

I bet there's loads of gas meter cogs being filed off as we speak!

Yea to be fair that was a huge error they shouldent have really shown that IMO you can be a cheating robbing cut.....

But at least be a cheating robbing one of them on your own skill

Keep up with the antics of the UK,s most humoured electrical company
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RtIndustriaLtd
Twitter: @rtindustria
 21 January 2014 07:58 PM

OMS

In a previous life, I took some work as a jointer for a DNO when I came back from overseas and before enrolling at Uni - I ended up working with a jointer of the old skool and after a few weeks I think he accepted I might be a college boy, but I knew knew my amp from my elbow, was happy to get in the joint hole and wipe PILC, kept his bonus at max so he started to involve me in a bit of saturday morning moonlighting.

We used to expose the UG service (or get the client to do so on the pretense of a bit of gardening) to the building and run in a new bit of concentric to a cut out (always of a make that the DNO didn't use - he used to buy street lighting cut outs for the job) - joint it it live and hey presto, an unmetered supply.

There must be loads about - he wasn't the only guy doing it, I knew of linesmen doing the same - I recall a supply to a farm dairy that flew in from a switched PL conductor - sort of unmetered off peak if you like

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 22 January 2014 05:39 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: OMS

In a previous life, I took some work as a jointer for a DNO when I came back from overseas and before enrolling at Uni - I ended up working with a jointer of the old skool and after a few weeks I think he accepted I might be a college boy, but I knew knew my amp from my elbow, was happy to get in the joint hole and wipe PILC, kept his bonus at max so he started to involve me in a bit of saturday morning moonlighting.

We used to expose the UG service (or get the client to do so on the pretense of a bit of gardening) to the building and run in a new bit of concentric to a cut out (always of a make that the DNO didn't use - he used to buy street lighting cut outs for the job) - joint it it live and hey presto, an unmetered supply.

There must be loads about - he wasn't the only guy doing it, I knew of linesmen doing the same - I recall a supply to a farm dairy that flew in from a switched PL conductor - sort of unmetered off peak if you like

Regards

OMS

Whilst a Statute of Limitations exists in this country for Contract, Trust Deed, Land and Tort Claims, there doesn't seem to be one for criminal acts, OMS ...

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 22 January 2014 06:00 PM

OMS

LoL - other then being dead I guess

I heard he passed away just a few years ago

Me, I've no idea what was happening - just the jointers mate, innit

Regards

OMS

22 January 2014 06:48 PM

peteTLM

i was speaking to a jointer once, He said someone on his team got done for making an illegal 11kv connection for a transformer!

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 22 January 2014 07:04 PM

Its not just Energy I know of several homes with more than water supply to them one metered one not... However we have to bond both do we not.
 22 January 2014 07:24 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: 1652

Its not just Energy I know of several homes with more than water supply to them one metered one not... However we have to bond both do we not.

Depends if they are plastic or not

Regards

OMS

22 January 2014 07:34 PM

ebee

Anyway I don`t think we should pay for AC Electric only DC because if you think about it they send us some electrons then we send `em back then they send `em again and so on etc.

They should not charge us.
It`s not fair.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

IET » Wiring and the regulations » Energy thieves

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.