IET logo
 
IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Another needless death.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 December 2013 03:13 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 December 2013 03:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



24Hour

Posts: 187
Joined: 06 April 2006

Teenager Electrocuted In Christmas Accident, certainly a bizarre one, can't quite work it out myself.

A teenager has died in a freak electrocution accident while apparently searching for Christmas decorations in the loft of her house.
Georgia Marshall, 13, from Barry, South Wales, is thought to have been killed when a metal ladder inadvertently touched a live wire.
The schoolgirl was holding the step ladder while her father Richard, 54, searched for the decorations, according to local media.
The teenager, one of seven children, was from a family of animal lovers and grew up surrounded by horses, dogs and guinea pigs.
Her mother, Glenda Marshall, paid tribute to Georgia on Facebook.
"My beautiful light became a shining star today. Love u forever and will miss you till the day I die. My amazing Georgia. Words cannot say how I feel XXX," Mrs Marshall wrote.
She has also posted a photograph of Georgia taken last Christmas, with the message: "My Angel, Christmas 2012."
The accident happened on Saturday and Mrs Marshall thanked friends of the family who have been using the site to express their sympathies.
"This is so hard for us. I just wanted to thank everyone for all the support and offers of help this last couple of days," she wrote.
"Thank you to all the people who have taken and are going to take my guineas for me. This will help me out more than I can say.
"I won't ever get over this, but all your thoughts and help are so much appreciated by all of us here. THANK YOU."
Police are not treating the death of the teenager as suspicious.
A South Wales Police spokesman said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family at this tragic time for everyone.

-------------------------
Yes i do do 24/7 everyday of the FLAMIN year.
 06 December 2013 03:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for OMS.
OMS

Posts: 19693
Joined: 23 March 2004

Loose choc blocks or taped joints from downlighters or smoke alarm I guess ?

Failing that, faulty lead lamp from a socket on the landing dragging against the ladder ?

Whatever caused it - a pretty bloody awful thing really

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 06 December 2013 03:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for Parsley.
Parsley

Posts: 1024
Joined: 04 November 2004

Very sad story.

It amazes me what people put on FB.

Regards
 06 December 2013 04:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for rocknroll.
rocknroll

Posts: 8865
Joined: 03 October 2005

Before you all start blaming everyman and his dog I would like to point out that an extension lead was involved, preliminary reports suggest that the lead snagged on a part of the metal step ladder and when pulled upwards removed a portion of the insulation exposing the live conductor, and yes, a tragic accident.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
-------------------------
"Oh! The drama of it all."
-------------------------
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
-------------------------

Edited: 06 December 2013 at 04:48 PM by rocknroll
 06 December 2013 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for potential.
potential

Posts: 1271
Joined: 01 February 2007

In situations like this, I wonder what difference there might have been if dad (or anyone present) had had the skills of heart massage resuscitation.
 06 December 2013 06:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for UKPN.
UKPN

Posts: 514
Joined: 17 January 2012

there was one similair many years ago, christmas,
a young girl, barefoot, trod on flex to christmas tree, flex partially bare, girl touched radiator, all bonding correct in house. electrocuted.
RCCD would have saved her.

Regards.
 06 December 2013 06:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for OMS.
OMS

Posts: 19693
Joined: 23 March 2004

RCCD would have saved her


Perhaps best to say an RCD of 30mA may have saved her - whilst generally theoretical, I was involved, in a previous life, into the effects of electric shock on infants (it was healthcare research work for safety reviews in SCBU and paediatrics wards).

Even at 15mA, which would be the no trip threshold for an RCD, the effects on the young are much more exaggerated than those on healthy adults

For those cases where it's a wiring fault however the RCD would almost certainly have saved a life - we can't be quite so certain on direct contact though. It's why power supplies in certain parts of the NHS estate are supplied via medical isolation transformers or in some cases earth fault shunt trips of 5mA.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 06 December 2013 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



mikejumper

Posts: 1726
Joined: 14 December 2006

Originally posted by: UKPN
RCCD would have saved her.

If it was working.

The last one I tested (30mA) just over a week ago did not trip when the usual tests were applied. Worse still, it did not trip when it's own test button was pressed. TN-C-S supply, Ze 0.29.
 07 December 2013 04:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for gkenyon.
gkenyon

Posts: 4478
Joined: 06 May 2002

This is true, RCDs are not guaranteed protect everyone and everything all the time.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, if you are barefoot / unclothed, and wet, even as an adult the RCD may not protect you - and it's also possible that a small percentage of adults are not fully protected even in dry conditions, regardless of prevailing medical conditions.

And then there's the direct short L-E. In many cases fuses/mcb's operate before the RCD has a chance, but the let-through energy has still passed - I don't think I need to draw out the conclusions for the effects of this ...

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 08 December 2013 03:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Avatar for tomgunn.
tomgunn

Posts: 3238
Joined: 25 May 2005

Originally posted by: potential

In situations like this, I wonder what difference there might have been if dad (or anyone present) had had the skills of heart massage resuscitation.


Thats the thing - they should have jumbded on her and she could have been brought back - but: who knows? Its very sad... at anytime of the year! Sudda / wudda / cudda!

I know that if it was one of my grandchildren I would not be able to cope!!

Rest in peace little one!!!

Tom

-------------------------
Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
Statistics

See Also:



FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.