Increase font size
Topic Title: cutting holes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 December 2013 12:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 December 2013 12:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

goldenboy1818

Hi iv got to cut some holes in a sofit for some outside led spots. The sofits will be.. I think its that rock hard concrete board covered with pro render. Before its took the teeth off my hole saw cutting holes and someone had to cut them with a jigsaw but was a bit of a nightmare. Does anyone know what to use in this situation ? maybe a metal cutting hole saw ?? Thank you for any advice
 06 December 2013 01:42 AM

allaway

Think about a Diamond Core ... I use mine for soft brick, hard semi-engineering brick, 20N block, concrete and paving slabs!

A pity you did not post a few days back as ScrewFix had a clearance with some going at £5 each - yes I got some. Although even at full price they make cutting an easy task.
 06 December 2013 06:49 AM

mossep

Dewalt do a hole saw set for cutting stone, brick etc.... I can't find a link, but I have the set so I know it exists! Comes with 16, 20, 25 and some more up to about 65 or 70mm

-------------------------
www.mossep.com
 06 December 2013 07:45 AM

dickllewellyn

Lennox also make cutters up to the task. I have a 115mm one that cuts tiles and weatherboard nicely for fans. I also bought an own brand set recently from tool station for about £40 which has a selection of sizes.

Can you be sure it's not asbestos board?

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 06 December 2013 07:49 AM

goldenboy1818

hi yes it will be brand new so deffo not asbestos luckily. Do you ever cut asbestos board for fan grills for example ?
 06 December 2013 07:59 AM

dickllewellyn

Not knowingly!

I have hit it before when plastic soffit has been put over the top, but never intentionally. I can't remember what the guidance is, but I think it's that you can cut a hole up to 20mm and it's non notifiable. Good practice is to use shaving foam or similar to collect dust, correct vacuumed cleaner to tidy up, correct overalls and mask etc. I tend to suggest if the fan has to exit the soffit that someone else do it, or that a tile outlet be installed.

Apparently asbestos has been found in cement board as late as 2000. Make the most of it, the asbestos companies are running out of things to remove, so they will find something else soon! (Cynical me)

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.