Increase font size
Topic Title: Mains Voltage Downlighters
Topic Summary: Can We Use These as Uplighters
Created On: 05 December 2013 10:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 December 2013 10:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

keithredpath

I have seen an installation of 90 Downlighters (Mostly 35 Watts) which have been installed as Uplighters.

The bottom line is: They are only switched on very occasionally but when they are, a strong smell of burning, occurs.

Accumulations of dirt and dust have appeared in and around each fitting. As the light fittings are fitted upside down and are virtually inaccessible for cleaning, how can we overcome this problem.

Are you allowed to install Downlighters upside down?

-------------------------
keithredpath
 05 December 2013 10:52 PM

DOUGIE1000

I wouldn't recommend this, I was involved where a child touched a hot halogen lamp in a shop window. I be live there was a lawsuite

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 06 December 2013 07:48 AM

dickllewellyn

Perhaps LED lamps could provide the answer? They would stop the burning? Maybe a light fitting with a glass front to avoid the dust building up inside the fitting? We regularly fit the pillar type lights with one up and one down, same thing really apart from the open end? We did fit some plaster up lights recently with halogens exposed, but the client regrets them now that they've become full of flies!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 06 December 2013 10:39 AM

calumbtw

Originally posted by: dickllewellyn

Perhaps LED lamps could provide the answer? They would stop the burning? Maybe a light fitting with a glass front to avoid the dust building up inside the fitting? We regularly fit the pillar type lights with one up and one down, same thing really apart from the open end? We did fit some plaster up lights recently with halogens exposed, but the client regrets them now that they've become full of flies!

I'm sure that whether LEDs can be mounted upside down, or not, depends on the fitting. I was discussing this with someone at LuxLive, and they suggested it depended on the fitting!

I'm sure its something to do with the heat dissipating down to the top (or the base if installed upside down). Not entirely sure though, sorry!
 06 December 2013 12:58 PM

Fm

I assume you are doing an EICR?

The easiest option to ensure compliance is to ask the manufacturer.

If the information is not available, ask why.

If the info cant be made available, inform them in your opinion wiothout specific manufacturer information, you feeel its unsafe to have energised due to dust, potential for foreign objects placed over the fitting etc. etc.
 06 December 2013 05:51 PM

sparkiemike

What are they "fixed" to, are they in the floor shinning light on the ceiling - like ground lights?
 06 December 2013 06:29 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: keithredpath
As the light fittings are fitted upside down and are virtually inaccessible for cleaning,.

Hi keith, I would say that if they are virtually inaccessible then whether the right way up or upside down, the downlights are not the major issue, but the lack of general access is - who changes the lamps?
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.