Increase font size
Topic Title: CFLs - A rant
Topic Summary: Why change the sizes?
Created On: 05 December 2013 10:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 December 2013 10:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

allaway

I have an installation of 6 IP rated downlighters which take GX24q lamps - the ones with 4 pins and external ballast/electronics.

Recently it had been noticed that they were not as bright as before and then couple failed - they were towards the end-of-life. I ordered replacements - in 4000k which took some finding but were the same brand, part number and bar code as the originals.

When they arrived, fitted the first and found the glass cover would not fit - the lamp protruded by about 2 or 3 mm. I checked it was fully home, checked it worked, removed it and refitted the original which was fine. I then compared the original and replacements - the tubes on new versions are 6mm longer than before!

WHY?

The lamp manufacturers are saying "hard luck we have changed our design and you have to live with it." The fittings were over £50 each - so not cheap.

The fitting manufacturers are also annoyed - they no longer manufacture them and have moved to LEDs for their new range but are now expecting calls from irate customers when they are not at fault.

So, does anyone know of a source of GX24q in 4000k of the shorter 112mm length?
 05 December 2013 12:15 PM

AJJewsbury

I had a similar issue with a 16W 2D work light - fitted a new 2D lamp, closed the cover and the lamp shattered - the new lamp had a slightly different radius on the corners to the old one and so didn't quite fit into the recesses in the reflector
- Andy.
 05 December 2013 05:45 PM

stateit

15W T5s as well : Newer ones seem about 1-2mm longer. Won't fit into a certain fitting one customer has many of.

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.