Topic Title: Governing body contacts client direct
Topic Summary: is this usual?
Created On: 28 November 2013 08:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 November 2013 08:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Hello,

My elderly client had a call from Napit today. He is 93. He has left me four messages this evening, each one more distressed. I was in a guitar lesson and switched off. He seems to think I am a shark now.

Apparently the lady asked him 'hundreds' of questions, took up a great deal of his time.

At the end she said she is sending him some forms to fill in including a complaints form.

Does anyone recognise this as standard Napit practice?

He has no complaints and the work is ongoing. I absolutely promise you all that there's nothing dodgy here. Estimated, reported etc. I'll not bore you with the details but it's about getting a satisfactory report for him because his insurers recently visited the property and asked for a report. Major major major remedials on the go. The place was shocking and they were right to ask for one.

I'm really upset that my elderly client has lost faith in me as a result of a call from Napit. I have not had a communication from them.

I shall be there tomorrow and it is going to be tricky but I sure hope those forms arrive so that I can see them.

Any clues? Perhaps Napit are using our clients as our assessors?

Zs
 28 November 2013 09:26 PM

JonSteward

That sounds a bit out of order from Napit. Especially as you are still engaged in work for the client where you're probably having to explain things to someone who has little idea of what you are actually trying to achieve for him.
I'd keep it professional, smile broadly, maybe explain it's part of the club rules.
BTW Do Napit call you customers now like the nic do?
 28 November 2013 09:38 PM

ady1

That's disgusting Zs - You stand your ground, they are messing with the wrong person. I'm sure you would have any support you need from all of us on this forum.
Regards
Ady

-------------------------
Resistance is futile.
 28 November 2013 09:43 PM

Zs

Thanks Jon and Ady, I'm doing my pieces here and I fear it's going to be a sleepless night. He is so cross with me and I love that funny old man so much. I have had to nag him so. Spent hours at his kitchen table drawing diagrams of what I have found and all that. He got me to read a book featuring the subject of why asbestos is not a killer (Scared to death it is called) and only then let me change the boards.

But still very far to go to put his home right.

Clearly Napit do call clients these days. I did not know that the NIC do that. I shall let you know.

Zs

Edit. A bit of the passion removed.

Edited: 28 November 2013 at 09:52 PM by Zs
 28 November 2013 09:59 PM

Fm

Whats disgusting? A call centre calling someone?
You lot need to lighten up
 28 November 2013 10:08 PM

prophet

Originally posted by: Fm

Whats disgusting? A call centre calling someone?

You lot need to lighten up

The body you pay your subscriptions to, undremines you by calling your elderly customer asking lots of qustions and sends out a complaints form and now your customer doesn't trust you?

Wild, I'd be absolutley livid

Tom
 28 November 2013 10:09 PM

paulskyrme

Zs,

Go for them, all guns blazing, & go to your client with your usual manner & you will be fine I'm sure.
They are out of order, I'm sure you will win your client over, and then, I believe you will be able to get him on side to get to the bottom of this NAPIT stuff.
 28 November 2013 10:47 PM

Zs

Thank you very much. Not my best evening ever.

Strange what it takes to tip us over the edge isn't it?. I cried a bit and am not really the crying type.

Perhaps just napit due diligence which has been mis-placed and would have been ok if it were a 40 year old. I will write to him after work tomorrow and will turn up with some posh coffee because I note they are into their coffee. I know that he digests the written word in a way that I envy and wish I could do, so I'll wait, and write.

For now though, Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart need me to play along.

Ain't no way.

Catch you when I know more. But I thank you.

Zs
 28 November 2013 11:02 PM

rocknroll

There is another side to this you know, you all want to be competent and screaming for your competence to be scrutinized by the bodies that represent you, so why should you be really surprised when something like this comes back to bite you in the a$$ like a phone call or survey to one of your customers, how many ways do you want it.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 28 November 2013 11:10 PM

sparkingchip

Either you have already notified some work through the NAPIT online notification system detailing the clients name, address and phone number giving them the opportunity to contact your client or someone else has contacted them passing details on. How else would they know the contact details?

So if you have not yet made a notification I'd suspect someone is stirring, if you have made a notification then I'd be on the phone to NAPIT to find out what's going on.

Andy
 28 November 2013 11:17 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

So if you have not yet made a notification I'd suspect someone is stirring

The insurer as outlined in Zs's OP?

I've two 'ongoing' jobs at the moment that have, for certain reasons, lagged on and on for months.

The 'I'll leave it like this until I'm back" fixes would be OK for me coming back in a day or two, but not how these two jobs have panned out due to dithering clients and dithering other trades.

If an insurer had perchance to visit these locations I'm sure their eyebrows would raise.

Rightly or wrongly not all jobs during the course of their execution are left to BS7671 standards at the end of a working day.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 29 November 2013 07:20 AM

paulskyrme

Originally posted by: rocknroll

There is another side to this you know, you all want to be competent and screaming for your competence to be scrutinized by the bodies that represent you, so why should you be really surprised when something like this comes back to bite you in the a$$ like a phone call or survey to one of your customers, how many ways do you want it. [IMG][/IMG]

regards

Rock,
TBH, it is the way it should be, but, the scams never have worked this way AFAIK.
IF we knew they were, then clients would be told this in advance and, we would be aware, thus IMHO, it would be fine for them to do it.

It just seems like an unannounced change of tactic.

It is this that concerns me, because, I feel that the scheme members should be made aware of such a policy or actions change.

For me, I would not worry in this scenario, I often explain to customers that I have a scheme which assesses me, and that they pick jobs to come and check on, so their job may be chosen, and it is not to check on them, but the work that I have done to make sure that my work is up to scratch.

Most of my customers seem fine with this, some are even concerned that access may not be available come inspection time!
 29 November 2013 09:21 AM

Zs

OK, I have stayed home to make the call.

I think we may call off the dogs.

It would appear that my client has misunderstood and is in fact receiving a compliance certificate and not a complaint form.

I have spoken with Napit and with the lady who made the call. This was a random customer service check. so yes, they do make them. She confirmed that it was a difficult conversation and has given me her direct line so that my client may call her for assurance if required.

I'm on my way there now. I have a notion I might get sacked anyway because he is most unhappy now.

A simple misunderstanding I think. He has not been invited to make a complaint and is not receiving any forms to fill in.

Zs
 29 November 2013 09:34 AM

Thripster

Zs, in that case I would ask Napit to contact and write to the customer exonerating you. The onus is on them - and if they do not I would change from Napit to one of the other scheme operators.

Regards
 29 November 2013 12:03 PM

rocknroll

This has raised perhaps a few important points you need to consider, whilst at the moment there are two registers I suspect the DCLG will bang some heads together and insist on one register and complaints authority, the organisation that administers the register is duty bound to ensure the registered are open to scrutiny and the clients who use the register are open to transparency, so those of you who are registered must be scrutinised to ensure you fulfill the criteria to be entered on it and the customer who enquires about a registrant must be given information such as disputes, complaints, pending complaints etc; so they can choose who they want to use, a bit like credit checking where a file/data is held on you. GasSafe do this and the FMB have been operating like this for many years although my colleague states that after six years complaints and disputes are removed.

As OMS has so eloquently pointed out on many occasions once you go down routes like this dont be surprised when something comes back to bite you in the a$$, we have been registered in various forms in the past and we expect to be scrutinized, we expect transparency with the client, we expect data to be held on us thats the way it works.

No more hiding in the shadows.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 29 November 2013 12:31 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: rocknroll

This has raised perhaps a few important points you need to consider, whilst at the moment there are two registers I suspect the DCLG will bang some heads together and insist on one register and complaints authority,

There already is a single register, perhaps you were thinking of the two websites from opposing companies with the word 'register' in the "branding"?

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
 29 November 2013 02:00 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: Zs

the work is ongoing.

If the work is ongoing, how come Napit had the customers details, don't they only get this at the end?
 29 November 2013 04:05 PM

Cremeegg

As above - how have NAPIT got hold of the clients details?

I have no trouble with being checked up on but I think it only fair to all that NAPIT / NICEIC / GASSAFE etc tell their members that they will be subject to this sort of random customer survey. As Zs has unfortunately found out customers can take things the wrong way. I'm absolutely convinced that had Zs known that her clients were likely to be subject to such calls she would have explained clearly and precisely that to them.

I've never been told by NAPIT that they carried out this sort of survey. If it were me I'd be on the phone to NAPIT Towers demanding answers. Also answers from my assessor and the NAPIT Trade rep.

If the customer dumped me solely because of NAPIT's call NAPIT would be getting an invoice as well.

I'm on several charities lists of trusted tradesmen. One local branch I know go round checking up on their traders (me included). I was working in one house when their lady checker visited to check on the plumber who had visited some weeks previously. No problems with any of that - if it happens or might happen then I tell my customers to expect a visit or phone call. The elderly in particular like to be told.

Whichever governing body it is they should be telling you - what else do you get for £500 a year?

Give NAPIT hell Zs - an innocent call from them may have cost you dear. A good reputation takes years to earn and seconds to lose.
 29 November 2013 04:41 PM

OMS

Well NAPIT have got the details from the submission to them - they contacted the client about the compliance certificate, and as a due diligence/quality check type of thing.

In this case they picked on a slightly confused 93 year old - it'll all get sorted out with sweet tea and dipping biscuits

Acting as the clients technical agent over the years I've had several phone calls from scheme operators about certain jobs by certain contractors. As far as I'm aware all the schemes reserve the right to make quality checks including site inspections if required - as "members" don't you know that ?

Those checks incidentally do not suggest that there is a problem with a job or a contractor - it is just appropriate due diligence.

Regards

OMS

Failure is always an option
 29 November 2013 05:00 PM

Zs

Hi,

They have the details because I have notified and certificated the work carried out so far. The rest, whilst significant, is not notifiable.

He's ok. I think not the kind of person who would apologise for anything but he did spend some time commenting on how similar the words complaint and compliance are. Recognition of an error if nothing else. I took moral support in the form of Gavin and a copy of big green with me. Gavin and his Dad looked after that house for years. I left Gavin at the kitchen table drinking tea and reading the swimming pool section aloud while I went off investigating the cable to the pool. If necessary he will take over and finish the job for me. The outstanding remedial work is very separate from that which has now been finished so that might happen.

Yes, things have changed a great deal there and the atmosphere wasn't good (no tea today). But I reckon there's a day more to go there and don't mind having the day off instead.

I'm not sure that Napit have done anything wrong here. Since speaking to her I think my client jumped a bit too soon. TBH, I'm not sure I believe that they asked him the questions he says they did... She read me the list of questions this morning. His version is very different.

A confused, deaf, elderly man of the old school with a minority electrician telling him how it has to be. the whole thing must have been stressful for him and whilst that doesn't excuse his calls to me of last night, it kind of makes Napit ok again.

Zs
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.