IET logo
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Requirements for fixed Installations at sea.
Topic Summary: Advice Appreciated
Created On: 27 November 2013 09:45 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 November 2013 09:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 3
Joined: 25 July 2008

I've recently started a new job where I'm building a new electrical installation on board barge type locations on fish farms, supplied from a fixed generator. According to BS7671, mobile or fixed offshore installations are outside the scope of BS7671. Does anybody know the requirements for earthing/certification etc if the values for testing/model forms in BS7671 are not applicable.
 28 November 2013 07:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 708
Joined: 22 August 2006

This situation must occur elsewhere - I can think of several restaurants operating from old vessels/light vessels. Why not find the nearest to you and see how they go about it?

 28 November 2013 10:36 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 160
Joined: 06 November 2012

Have a bit more of a search on here - there was an interesting topic/discussion regarding the use of a floating generator to supply fish farm lighting through the winter months on a lake in Scotland. From memory it was about 3 months ago - I've put the link below but not sure if it will let me post it.

Not sure it answers your question specifically but may be of interest/help.
 28 November 2013 07:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 3
Joined: 25 July 2008

Thanks for that, I think the guy who posted that thread is in a similar situation to me. As far as the actual electrical installation is concerned, everything has been installed to the exact same standard as it would be if it was shore side. My main concern is that the customer is requesting an electrical installation certificate but if that type of installation is out with the scope of BS7671 as indicated in Part 1, 110.2(v) then the standard forms are not valid. To complicate things even further, the majority of the final circuits are supplied through frequency inverters, so the Zs values will never be within the maximum values without applying correction factors which are supplied from the manufacturer.
 04 December 2013 07:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 47
Joined: 17 March 2009

Check the definition of mobile or fixed offshore installations. I believe this is intended to cover oil and gas installations. Our insurance company certainly doesn't consider a salmon barge to be included in this definition although we are covered for shipbuilding activities. I would say if you have installed it to bs7671 and the customer wants a cert then give them what they want.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2015 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.