Increase font size
Topic Title: Identification of earth
Topic Summary: Light fitting
Created On: 31 October 2013 03:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2013 03:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

Should an earth conductor in a light fitting intented for sale to the general public be green/yellow?

I fitted a chandelier contraption for a customer today bought from a national chain of stores. All conductors and outer sheath were clear plastic.

It was one of those light fittings where you can remove links and shorten the cable to achieve the desired height. The cable was marked L/N/E on the end with very small tags.
 31 October 2013 04:17 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Curiously there's not an alphanumeric code for PE in table 51 - so guess oversleeving with G/Y at the termination is your only option from a BS 7671 point of view. That's commonly done with the 3rd core of SWA anyway, so I can't see a big objection to that.

The appliance standard might say something different though.

- Andy.
 01 November 2013 10:16 AM

gkenyon

The light fitting doesn't have to comply with BS7671 in this regard, so Table 51 doesn't apply, but undoubtedly EN60445 would.

Protective conductors should be labelled "PE" or with the Protective Earth symbol IEC60417-5019, and not "E".

Incidentally, terminals on equipment (opposed to conductors) should be labelled "U", "N" and "PE", not "L", "N", "PE", but I rarely see that !

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 01 November 2013 10:40 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: gkenyon
Protective conductors should be labelled "PE" or with the Protective Earth symbol IEC60417-5019, and not "E".

It was in fact marked with the earth symbol, not E, but I don't know how to create that on here. The other terminals were marked L and N.

My concern with this fitting is that once the flex was chopped there was no way of identifying the earth conductor. You had to remember to mark it before chopping it or have the use of a meter to buzz it through.
 01 November 2013 10:55 AM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Originally posted by: gkenyon

It was in fact marked with the earth symbol, not E, but I don't know how to create that on here. The other terminals were marked L and N.

My concern with this fitting is that once the flex was chopped there was no way of identifying the earth conductor. You had to remember to mark it before chopping it or have the use of a meter to buzz it through.
Surely, the fitting has terminals for interface of Class II strand / solid wiring, to the flex in the fitting? (but you're going to say otherwise . . . )

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 04 November 2013 03:01 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

The light fitting doesn't have to comply with BS7671 in this regard, so Table 51 doesn't apply,

But wouldn't the connection of the wires come under BS 7671?

Just like when a householder has removed a loop-in ceiling rose and can't figure out which of the black wires is SL?

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.