IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Are Hagar RCD consumer units ok.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 October 2013 08:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 October 2013 08:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evening,
previously ignored the Hagar units because they always seemed overpriced when you could get Wylex units the same size for about £15 less and the breakers were about 70p dearer than than the Wylex.
But recently noticed that they are now the same price if not a touch cheaper than equivalen Wylex with breakers ,again, the same price as Wylex.
So, has anybody had any problems with Hagar.
Are you a wylex or a Hagar!!!!
Regards
Antric
 16 October 2013 09:07 PM

mikejumper

Yes, in my experience Hager units are ok.
 16 October 2013 09:12 PM

leckie

Many years ago I was a Wylex man, I loved the wood frame and paxolite back board they came with. I alway left a card of fuse wire with the board to afford a suitable maintenance program.

I now like Hagar
 16 October 2013 09:13 PM

prophet

I use Hager on all my domestic work. They look well made, the MCBs don't go cock eyed when you tighten the busbar, loads of room, like the fact theres a neutral bar on either side of the board with the earth bar in the middle, loads of accessories.

Downsides are the magnolia colour of the board (looks like its been in a smoking room), the stickers could do with being more sticky and the door catch could be better designed.

Oh and they haven't had a recall that i can remember!

Used to use craptree (wylex)

Tom
 16 October 2013 09:22 PM

Zs

I rate them very highly Antric and use them as my unit of choice.

In fact, if I'm honest, I turn my nose up a little bit at Wylex and MK which is ridiculous and completely without substance. I wonder where that came from as the cogs of my brain turned?

Hager RCDs are considered to be high integrity and I genuinely believe that a hager DB is less likely to have nuisance tripping problems. I've said this before on here, but I changed my parents' old re wireable jobby for a hager some time back. They live in a country village where the systems are mostly TT. When there is a storm they often get a power cut and the RCDs in the village trip.

The power is restored but the whole village is still sitting around in the dark because they don't know it has come back on. My Mum loves it that her RCD doesn't trip in the storms any more. The rest of the village of course, think that her Daughter has done something illegal to her electrics. I'm quite popular in that village!

I have a hager here and it puts up with various Sunday afternoon dabblings from the shed.

They are quite big though, and sometimes you will need to use something else less wide for the same number of breakers...you'll see.

For the last couple of years I've been collecting the little spirit levels from boards I install and I wish I had done it for years. I plan to make earrings or something out of them one day. That's daft too since I don't have pierced ears but I'll think of something. But if I line them all up next to each other, the bubbles are all over the place. Do not trust the spirit levels, send them here.

Give one a try. I like them and I trust them.

Zs

Edit...who is Hagar? I thought that was a little Scandinavian bloke with a funny hat?
 16 October 2013 09:30 PM

antric2

Thank you Zs and the rest of you who have replied.
Your comments are good enough for me so I will get one on Monday for a job I am doing.
I feel the Wylex are starting to feel flimsy and Zs you make a good point about the RCDs tripping on the Wylex.
I have recently damaged the main isolators on two wylex boards because they split when i tightened up the tails in the terminals.
Now I havent been eating any spinich or kryptonite so I am not stronger but Wylex seems to be getting poorer in its quality.
Regards
Antric
 16 October 2013 09:37 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: antric2

I have recently damaged the main isolators on two wylex boards because they split when i tightened up the tails in the terminals.

Antric

Oh, then you must have a look at the attachment for the tails which is available as an extra. You will notice two clips right next to the main switch area into which it fits. Ask to see one in a catalogue. I carry one for those jobs when you just feel the tails are going to be pulling too heavily on the side of the terminal.

Enjoy.
 16 October 2013 09:40 PM

21stcentury

We use Hager as much as possible unless specified otherwise...boards come with glazed or unglazed doors, main switch and mcbs have a window for labelling, top of insulated boards come out to enable cable entry and simply clip back into position, loads of space internally, locks available, meter tails adaptor to save bending meter tails etc. Did email them about the labelling windows and queried why the rcds/rcbos do not have this window but they replied with 'it doesn't have a labelling window'...other than that they are good quality....recently bought and the MK fully loaded cu, never again, mcbs didn't line up when fitting cover, mcbs levers were different on the 20amp mcb, labels don't stick very well. Fitted some metal clad Crabtree earlier in the year, similar story, busbar and mcbs are poorly supported, insulating tape took off some of the mcb markings.
 16 October 2013 09:55 PM

delta1

Just to echo the above, use Hager exclusively where it's my choice/spec. Seem robust and reliable, however as Zs said; don't trust the bubble! Never been a Wylex fan tbh.
A contractor I subcontract to uses Proteus, now don't get me started...

Kind regards to
 16 October 2013 10:01 PM

ady1

The main one for me...
The very flexible tails inside allow you to push them under, leaving the top of the MCB's free, then you pull them back up again when your done.
Nice and cheap at the moment, but my wholesaler told me today they are going to MK as Hager are putting the price up.
Boo hoo
Regards
Ady

-------------------------
Resistance is futile.
 16 October 2013 10:03 PM

DR2366

Fitted them for years without issue. Easy and quick to fit with nice breakers and RCBO's. Full module blanks are nice to use.
 17 October 2013 11:17 AM

Cremeegg

My plastic CU of choice - amongst the strongest; plenty of breakouts; plenty of space esp with RCBO's. The flexible tails accessory is wonderful - use it a lot even with other boards. Never had any failures or returns - I have with CGD; Wylex and MK.

As for price I'm amazed that people are that bothered about the odd £10 or £15 either way. Spread that out over a days work - how long does it take you meddling about with a smaller board, or having to be extra careful with one that breaks on you because the plastic is so brittle. So many wholesalers have so many different offers buy several in when the time is right.
 17 October 2013 12:00 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Cremeegg
As for price I'm amazed that people are that bothered about the odd £10 or £15 either way. Spread that out over a days work - how long does it take you meddling about with a smaller board, or having to be extra careful with one that breaks on you because the plastic is so brittle.

The price of CU's seems to have plummeted in the last ten years or so.

The last one I fitted replaced one of those tank-like MEM cream coloured metal units from the 1960's. The engineering in those old units is impressive, in real terms they must have cost substantially more than the modern equivalent.

I'd much rather pay more and support companies producing decent kit, if we don't and they cease production we'll be left struggling to fit rubbish.
 17 October 2013 01:12 PM

Legh

For the last couple of years I've been collecting the little spirit levels from boards I install and I wish I had done it for years. I plan to make earrings or something out of them one day. That's daft too since I don't have pierced ears but I'll think of something. But if I line them all up next to each other, the bubbles are all over the place. Do not trust the spirit levels, send them here.

@Zs, Sounds very level headed of you .......

Personally I have used Hager for the last 10 years without any problems.
I have been lucky as I haven't had to go through the failed CU /recall MCB sydrome as my wholesaler stocks them as standard.

Hager has, in my veiw, been ahead of the game in the domestic arena when specifying timers, elghts,contactors and other control items that can be built into the ccu...

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 17 October 2013 02:28 PM

Zs

Free beer all round from the man at Hager then?

Zs
 17 October 2013 03:04 PM

SherlockOhms

Edit...who is Hagar? I thought that was a little Scandinavian bloke with a funny hat?

I'd have thought a rock godess like yourself would've suggested Sammy?

S.
 17 October 2013 09:34 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: delta1

Just to echo the above, use Hager exclusively where it's my choice/spec. Seem robust and reliable, however as Zs said; don't trust the bubble! Never been a Wylex fan tbh.

A contractor I subcontract to uses Proteus, now don't get me started...

Kind regards to

Somebody suggested once that you can get different levels of sensitivities of bubbles when specifying spirit levels .....

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 17 October 2013 09:59 PM

slittle

We've used the hager ones without a problem. Lots of bits I like.

At the moment for the odd domestic MK is the weapon of choice purely on price and the fact our local eddies don't keep hager on the shelf.

One of our farms specifies Hager across all of it's estate so we use a lot of the TPN boards and they are not bad either.

Not my first choice for our own jobs, that tends to be MEM or Merlin on any thing non-domestic

Stu
 17 October 2013 10:45 PM

DOUGIE1000

Antric check messages

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 17 October 2013 10:54 PM

PatHammond

I've always found the removable plastic strip at the top of the Hager unit
(which has to be removed to get the cables in when using the top entry system) unbelievably fiddly. Every time the strip is removed to allow the connection of a new caircuit I find that extant circuits previlously installed move around and then snag the location lugs on the removable strip when re-locating the strip...unbearable...or maybe it's just me. Great boards when using the rear entry method..as it were!

4.5 day wonder...had to start somewhere
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Are Hagar RCD consumer units ok.

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.