Increase font size
Topic Title: Caravan earthing and bonding
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 October 2013 10:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 October 2013 10:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PatHammond

Should the metal chassis of a static caravan be bonded?

The origin of the installation is PME but I've not exported it but have utilised an earth rod instead.

There is a gas pipe which is physically floating above earth on the underside of the caravan but I imagine once the gas bottle is attached the bottle will sit on the earth; my instinct would be to bond the gas pipe. What do you think

Water comes in in alkethene/plastic. Would you not bother or would you undertake an IR test between the pipe and the earth rod and bond if the reading is less that 250kohms?

Many Thanks

-------------------------
4.5 day wonder...had to start somewhere
 03 October 2013 09:47 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

721.411.3.1.2 says to bond structural metallic parts that are accessible from within the caravan - which I guess the chassis might well be via floor fixings, door frames etc. The internal gas pipework is almost certainly in contact with the chassis, so little point in omitting bonding on that if the chassis is bonded (although the connection to the gas bottle is usually via a rubber hose).

It depends on the conditions, but the ones I've seen tend to be propped up on concrete blocks and held down with steel chains attached to the concrete base, so the effect of the types of separating the chassis from true earth will be undermined - add together the inevitably damp conditions (possibly salty in coastal areas) and I'd be tempted to regard anything below floor level as extraneous.

- Andy.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.