IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Plastering...What level do you do it to?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 October 2013 10:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 October 2013 10:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evening all,
reliabillity of plasterers is getting poor again now that work is picking up.
So, doing as always, just bonding in around the sockets and any chases that we do.
Dispite repeatedly explaining to one of my customers at the quoting and starting stage of one of our rewires that we are not plasterers and that we only can patch repair that is needed to be skimmed, they are holding back money( which I wont have a problem dealing with) until I get a plasterer in to make good all walls.....not a chance!!!
Whereas a young couples rewire we did had patch bonding done and they were very pleased with it knowing they had to get a finish surface done as mony of our customers have accepted.

It is too big a job to use easyfill 20 but I noted from other lads that they charge separatly just to patch up or dont even bother....they get cust to sort it out. . I always just did it as part of the job.
What do you all do.
Regards
Antric
 02 October 2013 10:31 PM

peteTLM

Bond it and thats it, on rewires.
I could plaster it, and could do the whole wall if i wanted, but choose not to.

On small jobs i'll easyfill it over flush and leave it for them to sand level.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 02 October 2013 10:36 PM

daveparry1

Up until recently I always just used bonding, left it just below the surface for the customer to finish off with a bit of filler when they decorate and most were happy with that. Just recently I've started to use the one-coat plaster, it does usually need another skim over but as it can be done later in the day it's not too much of an inconvenience and does make for a better looking job. It depends on the job of course, if there's a lot of re-decorating to be done most people are happy to do the finishing themselves, I do always plaster chases in to some extent though to prevent someone slicing into the cables with their trowel!

Dave.
 02 October 2013 11:14 PM

antric2

On small jobs i'll easyfill it over flush and leave it for them to sand level.

Easyfill is a great inventionand even I can get a good surface.

I do always plaster chases in to some extent though to prevent someone slicing into the cables with their trowel!

Yes, I agree dave,thats why I do the bonding to stop the plasterer slicing the cable and also if the mortar is flakey and wont hold the cable clip then bonding the chases keeps cable to the wall.
 03 October 2013 08:30 AM

dickllewellyn

Personally I tend to leave the chases and make the customer aware of that before starting. I've never had a cable sliced, I do make sure that everything is diligently capped up neatly and securely, and even Hoover the edges of chases to remove dust. If the customer has asked me to fill/plaster etc I tend to use easy fill for chases, lightweight filler for smaller jobs like round boxes etc, or quote for a plasterer. I did some filling yesterday for the first time in ages funnily enough, only a couple of tiny chases and 3 boxes that didn't quite cover with the face plate, so good old No Nonsense lightweight filler was the order of the day!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 03 October 2013 02:19 PM

mikejumper

Always plaster up if there isn't a plasterer coming in, I don't mind doing it and it gets the job completed.
 03 October 2013 05:58 PM

tomgunn

You shouldnt finish off with bonding!

Tom

Tom .... ( The TERMINATOR ).

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't!

I can resist anything..... except temptation! ( Karl Gunn ).
 03 October 2013 09:40 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: tomgunn

Tom

Even if I use finish plaster ,Tom,I still end up with a rough bond surface finish cos I am that carp plastering
Only thing I have learnt from trying plastering is how far I can throw my trowel in temper!!!!
 03 October 2013 10:01 PM

slittle

We don't do plastering.

Our quotes always say "no allowance for making good, decorating etc". Ok if it's an odd box for an additional socket then the easyfill comes out but a rewire with chases we would leave it clean and dust free and that's it.

One of our guys is actually really good at plastering, he can do ceilings and everything but we don't do it.

I work on the basis that if we caught plasterers wiring lights we wouldn't be happy so we don't plaster chases.

Stu
 03 October 2013 10:03 PM

antric2

Originally posted by: slittle

........I work on the basis that if we caught plasterers wiring lights we wouldn't be happy so we don't plaster chases.

Stu

Thats a fair point.
 04 October 2013 07:37 AM

dickllewellyn

Originally posted by: antric2

Originally posted by: slittle

........I work on the basis that if we caught plasterers wiring lights we wouldn't be happy so we don't plaster chases.

Stu

Thats a fair point.

Here here!

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 04 October 2013 11:32 AM

ebee

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Always plaster up if there isn't a plasterer coming in, I don't mind doing it and it gets the job completed.

DITTO that.

I`d never dream of not doing the plastering unless a plasterer is coming in anyway.

I can`t believe anyone can rewire a house and leave cables/metal boxes UN-plastered!"

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 04 October 2013 12:45 PM

daveparry1

Agreed Ebee, I always fill chases etc. to some extent even if only to protect the cables and keep them in position,

Dave.
 04 October 2013 06:51 PM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: antric2

Originally posted by: tomgunn

Tom [IMG][/IMG]

Even if I use finish plaster ,Tom,I still end up with a rough bond surface finish cos I am that carp plastering

Only thing I have learnt from trying plastering is how far I can throw my trowel in temper!!!![IMG]/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border="0[/IMG]

Hahahahaha!

What I'll do, tomorrow, is dig out my 'how to plaster' thing that I put up on this forum for peeps and peepessess... if you follow the guide it'll work out really nice!

As for not plastering... I for one would never leave the client with chases... buy hey... each to their own!! Coz I dont wanna get involved with any slanging matches anymore...

regards... Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

04 October 2013 06:54 PM

BrucieBonus

My plastering skills are about the same as my cake icing skills - same sort of process, innit!?! (Well you get the eat the cake I suppose...)

I always make it very clear that I don't do making good. On a rewire I run cables in clipped plastic conduit and fix face plates firmly so there's no danger. Very occasionally I'll bung a bit of filler in for a customer if it's not a big job and I'm in a good mood.
 05 October 2013 08:27 AM

tomgunn

Hi... its easy... don't waste your time with fillers.... hopeless... I am a very good plasterer... do it this way.... and you will leave a better job!

1 make sure the chase is free of loose bits.
2 cut any wall paper, (boil a kettle and use hot water to strip paper off), at least 6" back from the chase
3 get some bonding plaster... and some 'multi' plaster too... (you can just use multi plaster to fill large gaps / holes... but if you have the time then its better to part fill with bonding but you don't need to), they are cheap as chips... always come in handy too... the bottom of the bag is useful as explained further down.
4 mix up bonding in small bucket etc
5 wet the chase thoroughly! put bonding in chase... you should have a few chases to do... do them all the same way....
6 by the time you have done the last chase the first one will be drying
7 run a straight edge up and down / across the chase to make sure its all level
8 get trowel and scrape some of the bonding out of the edges of the chase... say about ¼ to ½ an inch deep ( trust me.. ) but do remember to make sure that the edges of the chase are also clear of bonding too... now it should all be flat / recessed.
9 make sure its all recessed by at least a quarter of an inch... ok!
10 score lightly all the drying bonding... if you score it too deeply it will 'smile' through the finished coat!
11 if the bonding is actually still very damp you don't need to score as it's a bit wet / dampish so the finish will take to it ok.
12 you can mix and add the 'multi' plaster ( MAKE SURE THAT THE BUCKET FOR THE 'MULTI' PLASTER IS VERY CLEAN AND ALSO THE SCRAPER AS WELL... MOST IMPORTANT ), to the now filled chase/s even if the bonding is still very damp
13 just put the plaster on the wall chase/s and either use a plastering trowel but maybe if your not used to them its better to use a wide painters scraper ( the scraper must be wider than the chase by at least a couple of inches ), and then just run the scraper up and down the chase...
14 go to the next lot of chases and when done return to the first one
15 put more plaster on scraper and add some more to the already plastered chase that should be drying... dont go too quicky let the plaster start to dry!
16 have a bucket of water handy and a 6" or 4" brush and wet brush
17 brush water on to the finished plaster
18 go up and down with your scraper.... and then with the wet brush etc... you'll be amazed
19 if the wall is very porous and the plaster starts to crack... then as follows
20 just brush your watered brush up and down the new plaster with plenty of water and hey presto the cracks WILL disappear
21 go around the others and do the same... even if they don't crack just brush and trowel
22 the client will be happy and so will you. Plasterers charge £200 per day on average.
23 if you keep your bag of bonding or multi for a long time it will start to go off... so if at some time you need a quick setting multi / bonding then use the bottom of the bag... because it will go off very quickly i.e., if you need either of them to use in fixing back boxes or to fill other chases quickly.

Good luck and add say £100.00 to £150 for these plastering works to your total costing to cover for the plastering and don't bother about the costs of the plaster... its cheap... any other building problems let me know.....

regards... Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

05 October 2013 10:04 AM

Jaymack

I prefer not to get involved in the finishing work of other trades. Simply, each estimate/quotation, lists specific exclusions of work normally carried out by other trades; including builders, decorators, plasterers, joiners, plumbers, kitchen fitters and carpet layers etc. Especially as in this case, I state that plastering fill will be completed to within 2mm of the finished surface for Another to finish.

Regards
 05 October 2013 11:09 AM

mikejumper

I'd like to add to Toms info and say that one of the most useful tools I ever bought was a plasterers spattle, great for filling and levelling narrow chases and filling small holes.
Buy the spring steel one made by ck tools, not the cheap imitations.
 05 October 2013 05:45 PM

tomgunn

They are 'ok' for filling large holes but for anything to do with plastering then a plasterers trowel has to be a must... I have a screeders trowel... they are much long.

regards... Tom

handyTRADESMAN ... haha

Castle Builders

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.