Increase font size
Topic Title: Socket tingle
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 September 2013 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 September 2013 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

fraserd

Had a call out to a job today where the woman was getting a small tingle from her kettle and microwave. Tested at the socket and no earth present, its wired as a ring in twin with a seperate unsheathed cpc but this socket was a spur and there was other unearthed sockets presumably spurs aswell. tested ze which was all good, and noticed that whoever had fitted the board (newish wylex dual rcd, no contractor name on board) had decided to bypass the first rcd and only run the neutral through it (arent these double pole?). Now why the hell would anyone do that!! Surely they wouldnt of done that because it kept tripping out when these unearthed sockets were used! anyway ive isolated the unearthed sockets and somehow ive got to price up for sorting it.
 30 September 2013 07:13 PM

potential

Now why the hell would anyone do that!!

Because that someone didn't know what they were doing?
 30 September 2013 07:17 PM

slittle

Because they had seen a board in the screwfix book for £50 and thought "that will look better than whats there and it's only a few wires to put in"

Stu
 30 September 2013 07:50 PM

fraserd

just looked like someone had done it purposely as the copper busbar had been fitted into the phase of the main isolator then a leg cut off as it passes the neutral pole on the isolator. I was thinking it was a dodgy way of dealing with the old stairs borrowed neutral but only one lighting circuit. God forbid if anyone had got a proper belt off a faulty appliance in the unearthed socket. What do you reckon the deal is with the unsheathed earth which is separate to the twin, ive already spoke to her about rewiring scokets but its an absolute no go.
 30 September 2013 09:04 PM

microy

Slap a danger notice on it,leave her to it, walk away. (Making sure you get a signature for the notice).

Mike
 30 September 2013 09:21 PM

leckie

You can't force someone to sign a Danger Notice. In fact they are very, very, unlikely to do so. But still issue it if it seems reasonable, and recorded if the client would not accept/sign it.
 30 September 2013 09:22 PM

alanblaby

What do you reckon the deal is with the unsheathed earth which is separate to the twin, .

1960's install where this was quite common. Twin line/neutral, looks just like T+E until you cut it. The earth will run all around the house. If you get the floorboards up, there will be some connections where a spur is taken off it, just by wrapping a bit of the cable around the main run.
A number of sockets wouldnt be earthed, no idea if this is by design, but I've come across a lot that are like that here in the Midlands.
 30 September 2013 09:27 PM

Zs

Originally posted by: potential

Now why the hell would anyone do that!!

Because that someone didn't know what they were doing?

I'd say they knew exactly what they were doing.

I'm glad that you got the call to this problem Fraserd. Shameful of the previous guy, do you know if this is a DIY job or if they paid to have it done?

Does what you are describing mean that the neutral was switched at the RCD and the line permanently connected to the main switch? OMS will have a thing or two to say about that set-up...Been there and asked the questions.

As for your bare CPC run as a separate single. You don't know where it goes behind the walls of course but assuming it is complete back to the board...unconventional, rough as sandpaper. But, d'you know,I think I like it on the installation you are describing. That's the least of your problems if it is functional. Moreso, the fact that it is not sleeved makes me rather happy because there's more chance of it leaning up against some dodgy bit of wiring or metal and taking out the RCD (when you've got it working). Might just turn out to be the best bit of crappy wiring ever.

I've a hunch that the circuit (and relevant RCD) is going to give you some big problems and that it has been bypassed for a reason.

Please let us know how you get on. Don't undercut yourself, this is not shoe-money, it's money even better spent on being safe.

Zs
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.