Increase font size
Topic Title: Positive Input Ventilation Units & 132.15.2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 September 2013 10:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 September 2013 10:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WiredScience

I have been asked to wire a PIV fan unit - it will be situated in the loft space, and is intended to run continuously. The only maintenance specified is for a change of filter every few years. There are controls on the unit which can be used to switch it off, and vary the speed. The manufacturers supply an unswitched fcu and a 1A fuse.

Does it need a separate, remote switch to comply with 132.15.2? Removing the fuse from the fcu is sufficient for electrical isolation (TN-S). Fitting an adjacent isolator/switch doesn't seem to add any functionality, as it has its own built in controls anyway. Adding a remote switch means it could be easily turned off by the tenants, defeating the object of fitting it in the first place.

There's obviously a main switch in the consumer unit for emergency isolation.

Any views on the interpretation of 132.15.2 in relation to the above scenario would be much appreciated.
 30 September 2013 11:34 AM

AJJewsbury

I'd suggest that what you propose is sensible. I've a feeling that 132.15.2 is aimed more at stand alone industrial motors - rather than small appliances that happen to contain a motor. If we did take it as applying to any motor then a mails driven electric clock couldn't be fed from a clock connector (which typically can't be disconnected without a tool) - which has been accepted practice for longer than I can remember. I think the last bit 'to prevent danger' is the significant bit - what sort of danger is posed by an enclosed fan that would bit prevented by having a switch there? (compared with say an industrial motor where all kinds of things could get caught up around the output shaft or whatever it was driving, if it started up unexpectedly).
- Andy.
 30 September 2013 12:42 PM

colinhaggett

You could always use a plug & socket if the circuit your using is ok with this. Simple easy isolation for maintance or if the unit needs replacement.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.