Increase font size
Topic Title: White meter wiring up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 September 2013 04:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 September 2013 04:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davethomas

I have been asked to change the CU(s) in a flat, fairly modern (1986) and it has two meters(on one phase) : one for the storage radiators (timed) and one for the main circuits. I've done a few of these in the past: replace the wylex rewirable boards with two new ones- simple enough. However, I always think it looks a bit cluttered- 2 boards for for only a few circuits, and I think, confusing for residents and wondered about an alternative.
I thought if I feed the tails into a 4pole rotary isolator and then feed a dual split load board as follows: Main 2 pole switch controlling rcbo (lights), first RCD for the 3 circuits in the flat, 2nd RCD fed off the other tails for the storage rads. this would mean that there was no single switch on the board that Isolated all the circuits, but the 4 pole isolator would do that. If it's all labelled up correctly it might seem a bit tidier and a bit simpler to understand. I'm sure there's nothing in the regs but I've just never seen it done. Any thoughts?
 28 September 2013 05:49 PM

potential

Any thoughts?

I cannot see an advantage in what you suggest at all and plenty of possible confusion for residents and other electricians.
If there is one thing I have learnt over the years is that the simple solution is usually the best, most robust and least confusing.
 28 September 2013 05:55 PM

prophet

There are dual tariff consumer units on the market
 30 September 2013 07:49 AM

davethomas

I have decided to stick with the two seperate C.Us, its probably not worth the trouble as you say. I got a mental picture of a guy turning up to read the meter stirring things up because he can't understand why 2 sets of tails are disappearing into one board. He's only got to say something to the tenant along the lines of "I've no idea what's going on here", and I'm going to have an elderly couple convinced the electrics aren't safe.

Interesting about the dual tarrif boardthough; I've never seen one but it clearly suggests my idea's not so far off the mark.

Thanks for your comments.
 30 September 2013 09:22 AM

peteTLM

There are millions of dual tariff board fitted to new builds over the last 20 years. 2 lives in, 1 neutral.

The trouble is you lose so many positions what with multiple rcd's and main switches, hardly any space left for actual mcb's even with a 21 way board.
I dont like the idea of the rotary isolator, especially one on meter tails, but wylex already do a Rec 2/ Rec3/ rec 4 isolator for such installations-

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 30 September 2013 09:26 AM

allaway

I have a Dual Tariff board - it is a standard MK unit with adaptable Bus Bars.

I am surprised there are two meters. That means that during the off peak time normal usage power (lights cooking &c) is charged at the higher rate.

The single meter has three tails into a 4-pole breaker with a link to give two neutral and two separate live outputs.

As for the meter reader - they look for obvious tampering before the meter, but post meter, they probably have no real idea.
 01 October 2013 11:21 AM

normcall

I suspect it's not 'white meter/economy 7 or 10 etc', but an off peak meter with afternoon boost. Not available now, but remember if removed, it don't come back!

-------------------------
Norman
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.