Increase font size
Topic Title: High Ze reading
Topic Summary: Who is responsible ?
Created On: 24 September 2013 05:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 September 2013 05:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pauljasonuk

Hello. I recently tested the Ze of a property which had the earth physically strapped to the incoming sheath suggesting its a TNS system however the reading was way too high at 6.4 ohms. Thus making all Zs readings fail too. Who is responsible for the earthing ? Is it UK power network?
 24 September 2013 07:03 AM

alanblaby

It depends on what area you are in, but yes, it could be UKPN. Here in the Midlands, it is Western Power.
In the last 2 years they seem to have taken a different attitude to such faults, previously (under EON, or was it EDF?) I would be told to TT the supply as they wouldnt be fixing it. Twice in the last year I've had a high Ze, and rang them, to which they come out that day, and repair it. Both of mine turned out to be 'loop-in' supplies, where the earth clamps had been loose on the next door property where the suppliy came from.
 24 September 2013 09:43 AM

jsa986

Have you checked your meter for accuracy recently?

You might want to rule that one out before contacting the supplier... just in case.

-------------------------
www.icertifi.co.uk
Electrical & Gas Certificates on iPhone & iPad
 24 September 2013 11:46 AM

johnelectrical

They don't have any responsibilty to provide an earth so I found the easiest solution is to ask the dno to change the installation to TN-C-S, which they generally do for about 150 pounds, i did have an occasion recently where uk power netwrks quoted £1500 to convert from TN-S to TN-C-S so we put a rod in
john
 24 September 2013 12:34 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

They don't have any responsibilty to provide an earth

They do have a responsibility (under the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations) to maintain the earthing of their cable sheath to prevent danger (3 (1) (b), 3 (a) & 10) - and indeed to provide an Earth/CNE connection to consumers for new or replacement lines (24 (4)) - how old is the supply?
- Andy.
 24 September 2013 04:11 PM

pauljasonuk

Thank you everyone. I'm getting the homeowner to contact UkPN so when he has an answer i will sort it for him if they say an electrician has to do it not them.
 24 September 2013 04:26 PM

pauljasonuk

Just spoke to the homeowner and its was UKPN. They had someone out the next day it was a fault on the outside supply. Thanks
 25 September 2013 09:19 PM

BrucieBonus

I'm in London, and have been told twice in the last week (2 different jobs), that UKPN will NOT TNCS any existing supplies. The only way they will provide an earth is if the home owner pays them upwards of £1.5K to bring in a brand new PME supply.

I had rather hoped that UKPN would be a bit better than EDF, but it seems that they are the same money grabbing barstewards and I'll be putting in a lot more rods - bit trickly when the property is a 2nd floor flat with no garden..... Do you think a bucket of soil in the stairway might work....
 25 September 2013 09:55 PM

UKPN

well there you go, one post you are a hero, the next you are a villain.

Regards.
 26 September 2013 05:34 PM

BrucieBonus

Oh, I'd love for you to be my hero, but never seems to happen in my neck of the woods

Even the guy from UKPN who came out to check the second job (I happened to still be there) agreed that they were just in it for the £ and he had some ridiculous time schedules to meet in Central London - 30 mins from call to visit - only possible if you can fly!!
 27 September 2013 10:00 AM

BigRed

Hang on, has everybody forgotton the esqcr? its their equipment, they have to maintain existing earths under this reg. Don't take that crap for an answer, mention that you will take it to the regulator. It's worked for me in the past quite a few times. To be fair, western power are pretty good about it.
 27 September 2013 10:13 PM

BrucieBonus

the problem is that they only accept sweated on braided earths as 'theirs' to maintain.

99.5% of TNS I see are standard earth clamps on the sheath - quite who put them all there I really don't know - can't have been thousands of sparks can it??? But UKPN say' well it wasn't us, so we're not responsible'
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.