IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 100w pv panel on narrow boat,is it worth the money?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 September 2013 12:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 September 2013 12:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hertzal123

A friend proposes to fit a £500 100w panel on the roof of his boat to charge his 4 no 110ah 12v batteries.He wants to trickle charge when the boat is stationary during the day.It sounded to me a lot of money to produce about 8A (on a good day).He uses things like fridges and inverters on board.Any opinions welcome.
Regards,
Hz
 07 September 2013 06:39 AM

Fm

I use 2 x 20'watt solar panelsnto keep the battery and leisure battery ticking over in the winter. On my vw bay
Purchased from Navitron.
Works for me, but. Dnt have any phantom loads lurking in the background pulling current
 07 September 2013 06:58 AM

normcall

I have two 33w panels on the roof of our caravan and in summer charges the battery up fine to replace the TV usage in the evening. Cloudy days and even short ones usually mean the generator comes out after about 4 days to charge the battery (110A).
The only electrics in use are water pump, TV and radio and a little computer use. Everything else is gas.
The question then is does the solar panel use only to ensure the fully charged batteries don't run down completely during a 8 hour period of wet/cloudy weather? Personally, I'd go for some form of stored energy like gas for fridge etc.
However with 200A available just to last when stationary, is the problem that the batteries run down; it's moored and doesn't go anywhere and the generator has to be used or simply that it chugs around aimlessly during the hours of darkness?

Maybe more info would allow a sensible opinion.

-------------------------
Norman
 07 September 2013 11:00 AM

hifly

I fitted a 100w panel to my caravan last year, all the parts came to under £200, we don't use it a lot but it seems to be working well & we are pleased with it.

-------------------------
Vince

Prove Dead Stay Alive

Christmas Cards for trades people

http://www.tradegreetingcards.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.