Increase font size
Topic Title: British Gas sparks
Topic Summary: any one work for them ??
Created On: 05 September 2013 09:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 September 2013 09:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davyn1

had a phone interview with them to get on there pool of sparkies for any future jobs and started wondering would o want to work for them as i dont know what sort of work /hours/callouts etc ?? cheers havn't been here for a while

-------------------------
just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean theyre not out to get me
 05 September 2013 10:28 PM

Fm

Dougie1000 used to work for them i think, a long time ago
 06 September 2013 12:51 AM

DOUGIE1000

I was 4 year or so employed by then until I gave them two fingers and went on my own.

Still good mates with a lot of the guys.

We in Scotland for the day to day service jobs only used our own guys. The installs/grant backed installs were subbies.

Dougie
Power Plus Electrical.co.uk

My mission is to live as long as possible......so far so good!
 06 September 2013 07:00 AM

alanblaby

I had an experience with a BG 'sparky' recently. Working at an house, the chap over the road came over asked if I could look at his shower, as BG had been called out and condemned it, they said it was damgerous, they'd taken the line cable out of the CB and put danger notices on the CU.
The symptons were the CB tripping when the shower was used for more than a couple of minutes.
The homeowner denied it, but I think it was a DIY job, he'd fitted the shower to the old immersion heater 16A cb, so of course it tripped after a couple of minutes.
All it need was a new 40A CB, but the BG guy said it was new cable, CB etc, adding up to £300.
I wasnt impressed.
 06 September 2013 07:48 AM

Legh

Called out to a RCD tripping fault. Tested the ccts and RCDs and found them to be still serviceable.
The householder wasn't convinced as he didn't want to replace some worn out kitchen/utility appliances.
This chap from BG came in and condemned the kitchen RFC and promptly rewired it at some cost.
I expect there will be more feedback to come.

Legh

Why do we need Vernier Calipers when we have container ships?

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

"Science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space - but any objections."
 06 September 2013 01:03 PM

daveparry1

Alanblaby, if it was the old immersion circuit it's probably on a 2.5 mm cable, hope you didn't put a 40a mcb on that!

Dave.
 06 September 2013 04:01 PM

Parsley

I initial thought that too Dave, but I think Alan would have realised
 06 September 2013 08:01 PM

alanblaby

Yes, I was aware, that's why I said the immersion CB, not the immersion circuit!
 06 September 2013 09:10 PM

DOUGIE1000

There putting trainees through http://www.britishgas.co.uk/bu...ces/career-change.html AND http://www.britishgas.co.uk/bu...-eletrical-skills.html and trowing them out on road as full sparks, i heard there even getting 2391 with less than 12 months experience.

Best one from the trainee who was fully qualified in someones house with a melted board and the "fully qualified electrician" was asking if it was ok to open a cable head and join two phases together using 16mm g/y oversleaved with brown tape to give it double insulation protection as the cable head fuse had blown with the consumer unit main switch shorting. I was left speechless.

I was contacted a few years ago by a local site member aof this forum sking for advise on a BG electrician saying that a 12 volt fan was faulty and no power getting to the fan by faultfinding using a voltstick.

Honestly the stories are endless.. hence why i left,

edited to sort link

Dougie

07 September 2013 10:29 AM

davyn1

Dougie if i did get offered a job i wouldnt have to be come ***** would i do they expect you to sell as i'm not a salesman just a sparky?

07 September 2013 04:31 PM

DOUGIE1000

Our team area had a target of nearly 100k, (quarter of scotland).

Customers used to say not to sell them anything as had enough of the call center's sales. We were £750 for a ten way board.

You are expected to sell upgrade works on every job ie board and bonding, sell other services like plumbing and drains/ appliance cover etc and just before I left they brought in cavity wall, loft insulation and selling utilities

Dougie

08 September 2013 02:36 PM

frspikeyhead

Being a gas engineer as well as electrical I come across endless horror stories after BG engineers have been called out both electrical and gas. The last was an elderly couple who were told that their boiler was broken and needed replacing at a mere cost £3200 cos they had no hot water. Heating was ok. A lot of money for an elderly couple me thinks. They called me out for a second quote and to my amazement I found nothing wrong with the boiler. Unfortunately one of the poor old dears had turned off the hot water circuit accidentally by turning off a gate valve which some plumber had inadvertently failed to remove when fitting the combi. I had a CU the other day classed as at risk cos where the meter tails left the housing through the knockouts on the underside he'd said that it wasn't sealed. Not sure whether this guy knew his IP codes as you certainly couldn';t get a knats finger through the hole. However all the customer sees is the 'AT RISK' labels which makes them feel that they need work doing........
 08 September 2013 04:06 PM

davyn1

i would find it hard to sel something i could fix in 10 mins but will have to wait and see what happens i just wanted to have more info before any potential job offers
cheers for all input
davy

09 September 2013 08:04 AM

davezawadi

I am totally disgusted by this trail of incompetence, and lies to customers. Are they registered with a competent body, and if so they should be publicly struck off forthwith! I can feel a good TV documentary coming on...

David
CEng etc, don't ask, its a result not a question!
 09 September 2013 08:38 AM

daveparry1

This reminds me of one of my customers where I had installed a new circuit for her gas boiler and she was later told by a BG "engineer" that the gas pipe should be connected to an earth rod whithin 600mm of the meter, (it was a TNCS system btw)

Dave.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.