Increase font size
Topic Title: Use of IP65 Junction boxes
Topic Summary: Is this acceptable?
Created On: 03 September 2013 02:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 September 2013 02:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Blakes7

Having purchased some Halogen heaters rated at 2Kw each I find that the leads provided are not long enough to reach the available 13amp sockets. To prevent invalidating the product warranties and breaking the seals to re-wire each unit, it has been suggested that I could simply cut of the sealed 13 amp plugs and extend the leads by using an IP 65 junction box with compression glands and add the required length of cable fitted with a new 13 amp plug. the maximum length of new cable would be 5 meters. The installation is in a moist environment. The heaters are rated for outside use by the way.
Is this acceptable?
 03 September 2013 03:05 PM

rocknroll

I have a couple of pyramid style 2kW halogen patio heaters and all I did was renew the whole cable with a longer one, there was only four panel screws, and if one goes bang I will replace with the original lead and moulded plug and take it back, simples, if you want to use a suitable JB then go ahead.

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 03 September 2013 at 03:39 PM by rocknroll
 03 September 2013 03:20 PM

AJJewsbury

It feels a bit rough - the better solution would be some new (suitably IP rated) sockets positioned near to the heaters.

You imply several of these heaters - how many? - there are limits to what a socket will supply (a double socket for instance is typically rated at a lot less than 13A x 2) and limits on how much a socket circuit can supply, and in the case of a ring circuit, the position of the loads around the ring.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "moist environment" - outdoors? swimming pool? sauna? tropical green house? There may be other considerations.

If it's a temporary setup, then perhaps an extension lead with a suitable IP rated socket on the end might be better (and save cutting off the original plug).

If you do go for joining flex, then a purpose-designed unit (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BRH65Z.html ) might be better.

Failing that, I don't see a fundamental objection to the box & stuffing glands approach.

Do make sure that the old cut-off moulded plug has its fuse removed and pins bent before it's severed.

- Andy.
 03 September 2013 05:01 PM

stateit

Why don't you phone up the manufacturer and ask if it's OK?

IMO it's an urban myth that such an action invalidates warrantees.

[edit] I phoned up Hotpoint once in front of a customer to query this after they voiced concerns about a warranty. Hotpoint said 'No problem'. [/edit]

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.